Glass Bedding

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: Glass Bedding

Post by leadbiscuit »

I say go for it. Just be certain you don't bed any elevation into the rear of the action. It looks like you bedded a short section of the barrel as well. If you lift the rear of the action up, the bedding under the barrel might do some funny stuff. Good luck.

lead
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It looks like you bedded a short section of the barrel as well. If you lift the rear of the action up, the bedding under the barrel might do some funny stuff
Just about all of my rifles are bedded this way, which was done by my gunsmith.. It helps support the action and takes stress off from it...
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Tim

Lots of reputable smiths bed the first inch or so of the barrel. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the practice. What I'm getting at is if he doesn't keep the rear of the action at the depth it was when he bedded the front, it may put pressure on the barrel. If the rear of the action is raised, there will be a gap under the front screw area and hard contact in the forward most point of the bedding on the barrel. If the whole thing had been done at once it would be a non issue. It most likely won't happen anyways. The fact that I can see through the compound that kflan used tell me that it's pretty thin stuff. Just something I thought he should be mindful of.

lead
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

10-4
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

kflan22 wrote:Thanks for the words of confidence and also the suggestions, I appreciate it.

This was my first bedding job, talk about being nervous! All I did was rough up the bedding area with 80 grit sandpaper and did a little work with a wood chisel in the recoil lug area before applying the bedding. Now I'm wondering if this will be sufficient or should I bed the rear action screw area too? The fit seems very good as far as I can tell.

You could just "skim" bed the area directly under the extreme rear of the action (the tang). That would give you two solid contact points fore and aft.

For that stock you have, I personally would have bedded the entire action. But for stocks with a integrated bedding block ill usually just put a goober of bedding material in the recoil lug recess, and under the tang.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

barebackjack wrote:
kflan22 wrote:Thanks for the words of confidence and also the suggestions, I appreciate it.

This was my first bedding job, talk about being nervous! All I did was rough up the bedding area with 80 grit sandpaper and did a little work with a wood chisel in the recoil lug area before applying the bedding. Now I'm wondering if this will be sufficient or should I bed the rear action screw area too? The fit seems very good as far as I can tell.

You could just "skim" bed the area directly under the extreme rear of the action (the tang). That would give you two solid contact points fore and aft.

For that stock you have, I personally would have bedded the entire action. But for stocks with a integrated bedding block ill usually just put a goober of bedding material in the recoil lug recess, and under the tang.
Actually, I did bed the entire action. Just did it last night. I ended up bedding from the recoil lug back to the rear action screw, leaving the tang free floated.

I'll post some pics tonight.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I ended up bedding from the recoil lug back to the rear action screw, leaving the tang free floated.
The purpose of bedding the action is to keep it from moveing around also to provide support for the action and barrel and when you bed it you bedd the front of the action and the rear (Tang area) you don't free float anything.. When you go to tighten the screws you will put the action in a twist if you don't have full contact..
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Its a savage so the rear bedding area is forward of the tang, unlike a remington 700. The bench rest guys leave the tang free floated on savages so thats what I did. Hope its was the right thing to do :?
Attachments
image008.jpg
image008.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Yep, you did it right kflan. The rear screw on a Savage is actually in front of the trigger assembly. I don't know why it works best to float the tang on a Savage, but it does. I'm a Remington guy and it took a little while for me to get used to the idea. I did my target action that way as well as a 300 mag for one of my neighbors. Works just fine.

have a good one
leadbiscuit