What Happen To Daryl

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

What Happen To Daryl

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Just wondering where Daryl has been. Hope nothing has happen to him. Anybody know?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: What Happen To Daryl

Post by bucksnbears »

Jerry Hunsley wrote:Just wondering where Daryl has been. Hope nothing has happen to him. Anybody know?
hows about what happened to Jerry H. ?? you ai'nt to old to hunt coyotes are ya?? :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You still trapping?? no pics for awhile. Or are you a full blown fishing fool these days.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That's what I am wondering myself. What the Hell happen to me. I'll tell you what happen. Mr. Hunsley got old and unable to do the things he used to do. 67yrs. of hunting, trapping, golfing, etc. has taken a toll on the ole body, mainly my ankles. The will is still there but physically I can only do soo much. One day of hunting and 3days of rest is about the right combination. I envy you younger guys, but it is time for me to slowly back off and listen to everyone elses stories. I have truly enjoyed the ride immensly. I am not giving up yet , just backing off a little. My wife thinks it is time for me too, but not me. As long as I have a cell phone, I am good to go.
I haven't been able to log on and reply or post, but everything is ok now. Shortly , I will be going out calling bobcats at my buddies place out West. Maybe I will have a story or two to post.
I do have one short story. I actually went out about 3pm yesterday. Snuck in and got set up and gave one lone howl. I waited 20mins. and still nothing, no answer or incoming coyote. This is somthing I do when hunting by myself, I give it plenty of time between calls especially when it is perfectly quiet out. I figure a coyote can hear that howl a Hell of a long ways away and it might take a while to get there. Now, when you have a strong wind I don't nearly wait that long. They either are going to hear the call or won't at all. Anyway, back to the story. After the initial howl I did a hurt pup and just a little bit of that. Then I waited probably 10 more minutes. I was on stand until right at dark. All of a sudden the ole dog cut loose and that triggered another group of coyotes probably a mile away. That is what I wanted to hear. It was a perfect time to use my voice and imitate a cat that was pissed off. This is somthing to remember and try. Let me know if it works for you. Just keep doing it over and over and over. Well , this doesn't have a happy ending . I kept looking and it was just about dark when I spotted two coyotes coming off to my right. Things happen so fast. The first one got out of sight behind a little knoll. The second right behind. I barked and stopped the second one and fired. I heard the bullet whop. by the time I got over there it was completely dark. Couldn't find anything.
The next part of the story I should be telling after the Classic drinking beer. There was a huge steep hill between me and where the pickup was parked and the only way out was straight up. I made it about a third of the way up and then I had to lay down and take a rest. My heart was pumping pretty hard. What better way would it have been to go out? When I went to get up , things got dizzy so I had to stand there awhile before I preceded up the hill. After one more stop, I made it up to the top and then it was all downhill from there. I was happy to be back to the truck. Well I came out the next day with my atv and looked for the coyote. All I found was a little blood and bone. I ran out any blood so loaded up. I went about a mile away and tried calling down this long draw. I let out a howl and about 5 minutes I see a coyote going along the edge a little dam. I pulled up the binocs. and I see another coyote trailing the first one. It's front leg was off above the first joint. He must have bit it off or it could have been a totally different coyote. I never found the leg. End of story. :roll: :roll: It did get me pumped up to go out again in a few days.
My trapping was very short this year. Only 5 days and one coyote. I got the flu, or some kind of bug and it put me down bad.
Always enjoy the forum and stories. I have lots of stories to tell if I ever get up to the Classic again.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good to hear from you again Jerry.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Thanks buddy, I now have a peg legger to deal with, you have better been on the res.!!!! LOL!!
Randy Roede
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Nope, just East of town a little ways. Right front leg gone. Good luck! Don't ya just hate them callers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Always enjoy your stories Jerry and would love to see you make another appereance at the classic the guys really enjoyed your seminar and would love to hear another!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Ok east is good!! Go all you want that way!! Not east and north, stay in Hughes!!
Randy Roede
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Randy, I do have a hunt lined up in Hughes county on my cousins land. When I was up there deer hunting we saw two coyotes. I had forgotten how rough that country was on Okoboji creek. Prime coyote country
On another subject, I see Dan Thompson passed away recently. Never got to meet the fellow, but sounds like he was an interesting man. Some of the guy may not be aware of his passing. Im not sure what the cause was, but I guess somthing of that magnitude, it doesn't really matter. I remember talking to you and Jeff about a pet coyote he had and also a badger. That would have been fun to see them in his building . I imagine his Son will take over his predator call business. :cry: :cry:
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Yep the passing of Dan T. is sad but something we all face at some point and time. He truly left his footprint on predator calling and the great outdoors in manly man ways.

I've said it before, gone but not forgotten!

I would assume Dan Jr. would and I think already is handling that aspect of it to some extent? I know Hook and Jeff spent some time with him when they were out there?

Jerry I am going to get you that life alert deal so if you get stuck and can't get up you can push it and we can come find you. You be careful. If your having trouble gettin up those hills take your boots off and get a toe hold like the olden days!! LOL
Randy Roede
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Hey forgot to tell ya, that sausage was awesome!!!!!
Randy Roede
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That sausage was made by a North Dakotan, an original ole German guy from Wishek. He makes all the sausage for the super value in Wishek. I have tried sausage from Linton, Ashley,Eureka, Hosmer, Bowdle. Long lake S.D. used to have excellent sausage, but they went out of business. I'm sure there are lots of other good places. I go up once a year and get a whole bunch and stock up for the Winter. If you want some , I'll let you know when I go.
That reminds me,of a little story. When I went up Kenmare, N.D, for their calling contest, Ron Jensen asked me to be one of the judges for the sausage making contest. I had to sample all the different sausages, and let me tell you, those boys kow how to make good sausage. 8) 8)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Randy I thought you and Daryl were hunting partners. Are you not in touch with him any more? I have not heard from him in a few years. does he still got that hunt in Balta?
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Yes I do keep in contact with him Jamie, he's around, bought a new house etc still in the same area. Busy with family, those three little girls keep them both busy.

He'll chime in here sometime?
Randy Roede