Lion called and Shot

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Lion called and Shot

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

A friend of mine just called and shot a 101lb. female lion. It had a collar on and was 8years old. It was shot in Custer State park. In talking to him,he was pretty excited and rightfully so. Shot with 25-06 at 20 yards. Here is scenario of the whole thing and he said he didn't have time to get excited. He had hunted two days without any luck. Walked quite a bit and when he came to a fork in a heavily wooded draw , he decided to take the north fork which paid off for him. He came to a little meadow at the base of a rocky cliff. At the base there was lots of tall grass. He decided to put his caller 15' out in front of him on side hill. He hung it in a tree. This is the good part. He used mountain lion in heat , because from some information he got from a local, there was a large male lion in that area. As soon as he turned his caller on , instantly he heard a "gruff' and he saw those tall weeds parting. He swung his gun over that direction and the lion stepped out madder than Hell. She turned side ways presenting a perfect shot in which he made. The lion took off and didn't go very far. When he walked over to where she laid, his legs got a little weak and shock set in. The part that was scary is the cat was only just a short distance from where he walk over and put his caller in the tree. Probably watched him all the time, or was completely asleep. He called the Game and Fish and they were going to check out the area for kittens. That might have been the reason she was so pissed when she came out of the grass. I guess she was really growling. This was the third year he had hunted for a lion, and finally got one. From what I understand, there were 6 lions shot opening week-end. He put his time in and finally paid off. Pretty happy for him. Make you wonder how many lions a person walks right by and never knew one was around. :) :)
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Lion called and Shot

Post by Dcoy »

Wow,great stuff Jerry!
Congrats to your friend.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

thats great!!. word is lion chops are damn good. congrats to him
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Thanks for the story. I would not do well with a 100 pound cat.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

SWEET!!!!!!!!!! 8) I love mountain tiger stories. I have to guide a lion hunt this coming week for a friend of my wifes uncle. I've shot 2 and accidentally snared 1 and everytime I see a track it still m akes me nervous. Congrats to your buddy!!!!!!
That reminds me, devildog, give me a call.
"God hates a coward"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Loved your pictures of the trapped lions and the story. How is your cur working on Lions?
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I've only had him on one set of tracks this year. The snow is terrible but we got about an inch last night. I have some traps to check today so hopefully I can find some good sign. I took some guys out calling the other but we didn't get any lions to take the bait. Hopefully later this winter will give us some more snow and oppurtunities at the big cats.
"God hates a coward"
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Nice story! Gives me the chills though thinking about it...darn sneaky cats they are!
Glad to hear/see they're being successfully hunted over there. What will it take to get SD to up the quota and let people use dogs?!
Seems like there have been showing up more and more in the past 6 years or so.
My parents' have even had them in their area in NW SD (one of my brothers has seen two less than 2 miles form the house on 2 separate occasions).
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

cool! I saw one at 50yds this last fall, it was a big one!