Smart phones

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

devildogg
coyotehunter

Smart phones

Post by devildogg »

My wife and I got smart phones a couple months ago and I was playing around on it and found an app that was google earth. I downloaded this onto my phone and find myself using this all the time. It comes up and shows you where you are on an aerial photo which is very cool when your out hunting. I use it to see what is over the next hill or around the corner. I have been using it alot lately especially when I'm in some new country. I have found some new honey holes that have produced a few coyotes. Give it a try it is a free app it might cost a coyote his life!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Smart phones

Post by xdeano »

Yep,
I agree it's a good thing to have. I use mine all the time and I've only had my phone for about 6 months.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Xdeano is aware of my 'limitations' and this Q will certainly expose them further but is that app dependent on phone coverage/reception?Satellite reception alone enough?Both?Neither?
Is there a 'Dummy' download on how to operate it?
I'm getting closer to buying a 'smart 'phone but have been told repeatedly that in my case it would be the ultimate oxymoron. :(
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

I made the smart phone jump and like it a lot... the Navionics app., bullistic apps., primos wind app. and so on..

:roll: :roll: but best of all I can surf coyotehunter on my phone..
If its good enough; Better is achievable
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Dcoy wrote:
I'm getting closer to buying a 'smart 'phone but have been told repeatedly that in my case it would be the ultimate oxymoron. :(

could'nt agree more :P
one of those would be VERY handy hunting new country.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

dcoy,
google maps is easy to instal and easy to use. You do have to have some coverage to pick up the data for the maps, but the gps in the phone will give you location unless you're inside. I do like the smart phone. I use it for a lot of things, not just finding a location. I use it for shooter every now and then to get a quick correction, when i'm doing load development to get me half way on target at extended ranges, then i use actual dope for when it really counts. I've found that the application is pretty decent as far as accuracy, plus it populates the wind, temp, humidity etc for you automatically.

But it's also another thing to forget out in the field or have fall out of your pocket, then you have to have a good friend call you repeatedly tell you find your phone. :) Been there done that. I was out pheasant hunting a few years ago and it dropped out of my pocket, took us about 20 min to find the damn thing.

They are hand to find that hidden lake on the other side of the hill with all the brush on it holding all the coyotes. ;)

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

xdeano wrote:dcoy,
google maps is easy to instal and easy to use.
xdeano
Xdeano. you have never met Dcoy :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
trust me :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

cabelas recon app.... AS I have been told ( i don't have it) will give you on google maps all the public hunting land out west( as in west to the red river for me) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and is an over lay to google maps
If its good enough; Better is achievable
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Anyone seen an App for this?
http://www.flashearth.com/
Thats so clear i can see coyotes on it. :lol:
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

it's very similar to the google maps.

It's cool.

xdeano
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Been finally figuring mine out a bit and using it.Google earth and 'looking over the hill' is nice.
Scoutlook does about the same and may even be faster plus you get the weather,wind scent cone where you are and other goodies like radar etc.
Think the Scoutlook App cost me $1.99.Awesome tool.Anyone with other good apps related to hunting,please post them.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

By the way,there actually is an App titled 'GPS For Dummies'.Problem is I'm not challenged by GPS at all but am still looking for 'Smart Phones For Dummies'.
Also any input on cases to carry them in appreciated-waterproof or not.