Minnesota...

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Re: Minnesota...

Post by rodeorulz »

Good post PG! Well said!
I think Chris is right... If we can get people educated properly it would certainly help.
Even if there are signs at access points warning people and showing them how to remove a trap I think this would help or it might be a problem (people who might not have cared before may all of a sudden care and want to eliminate trapping on public land...the saying "what momma don't know won't hurt" seems to be true more often times than not...but in this day and age CYA!!!!).
Accidents do happen though too...but most accidents could have also be avoided... :(
I do believe that education is the key to this...that and all the anti-trapping people not getting their panties in a bunch all the time! :P
I hope this turns out for the better for all you MN trappers!

Interesting that they want to allow snowmobiles and planes though...makes it look like they care more about "pets" than wildlife (or humans...not to mention the huge safety issue especially with the snowmobile)...anyways I don't know much about the bills and laws in MN other than what you all just posted so I'm not going to go any further than what I have...

A couple other things I have to throw out there...Regarding a dog being caught in a foot trap, correct me if I'm wrong but unless the dog is fighting real hard there shouldn't be any "major" damage like broken legs/toes, mostly just "cosmetic" damage, IF you are using a modified foot trap that is laminated AND offset?? And when it comes to snares IF your dog is leash broke it should be "ok" as long as the temps aren't real cold (or real hot) and the snare is checked in a timely fashion, etc.? As far as conibears...not gonna lie, I am not a fan of them BUT if they are being used properly and away from high-traffic "pet" areas then by all means go for it! Or if they are in high-traffic pet areas please do your best to avoid setting them in locations where you are at a high risk for catching a non-target animal (dogs in this case). Of course those reading my previous sentence are most likely not the uneducated, beginners that really need to be the one's to read that sentence...

Anyways...just my 2 cents...! :D