Minnesota...

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jeck
coyotehunter

Minnesota...

Post by Jeck »

No offense to the guys from Minnesota... but no wonder your State is in trouble. It reminds me of a "Northern" California. I couldn't live there! :lol:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/140390593.html

"He had some surprising advice: Run straight at a coyote, waving your hands and shouting. Shake a noisemaker; blow a whistle. Run at them until they disappear." :roll:
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Re: Minnesota...

Post by ducksmuggler »

I live here and don't dissagree with you..... Hear in Red Wing we have a huge in city yote problem.... in a city nature area (3,000 acres) and a bunch of local trappers and us that hunt under the in cities "in city limit rules" went and talked to the city to state our point and offer help in the issue...... it was a lost cause..... and the people in their $400,000 house are still compaining about coyotes....... "cause we might get in their way while walking their dog"
If its good enough; Better is achievable
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

need to add the... in city hunting is Bow hunting deer.
If its good enough; Better is achievable
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

LMFAO!!!!! Let Bucks after them! It won't take him long to thin them out. Better yet do the political thing and introduce wolves and bears to control the coyote population. :wink:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Just let them keep practiceing there hazeing skills, sooner or later they will catch on and then we can make the big money for removeing them...LOL
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Our state is in trouble because we don't have oil wells.

In the last few years we've gained the right to concealed carry and seen the elimination of gun case requirements. City ordinances do trump the new case law so you have to know where you are, but it's a step in the right direction.

I can honestly say I don't know a single person that speaks openly against gun ownership or hunting. Minnesota is not the liberal shithole many think it is. This hazing nonsense is a product of a handfull of ignorant urbanites.

Tim is right. Let them have their hug fest. When a few more important people start losing pets, things will change.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

if the twins cities was'nt a factor, MN would be GREAT
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

lol my daughter is in Montrose, close to TC
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Isnt there a bill right now to regulate 220 conibears to only being allowed in water or at least five feet off the ground (effectively eliminating them for land use)?
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

BBJ,
I think so.At least I read about it somewhere.Was designed to avoid 'bucket traps' killing dogs.We have a similar issue here in SoDak and are talking about limitations on their use.Maybe restricting them to private land with permission only.We invite 100,000 non-res people here a year to hunt pheasants and we NEED that $$.Makes no damn sense to kill their dogs on public land.IMO smart trappers know that.
I know my feelings on it-some SOB kills my dog with a 'slob bucket',he's in trouble.If he's big,he'd better be wearing armor.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Besides the trap Bill they also have anotherBill going through the house to allow the use of planes and snowmobiles for the takeing of coyotes..
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Tim Anderson wrote:Besides the trap Bill they also have anotherBill going through the house to allow the use of planes and snowmobiles for the takeing of coyotes..

That will be real effective with all those damn trees. :roll:

I get sick of all these morons thinking they need to legalize planes and sleds for "hunting" coyotes. Yeah sure, they're damn effective, but thats the last thing we need. A bunch of morons our harassing EVERYTHING in the name of killing coyotes. If they'd educate themselves so their actually smarter than the coyote, and get off their lazy ass and actually leave the truck they might kill something!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

barebackjack wrote:Isnt there a bill right now to regulate 220 conibears to only being allowed in water or at least five feet off the ground (effectively eliminating them for land use)?

Yes there is BBJ. This will eliminate a lot of coon trapping in MN and it will also be the end of a lot of cat trapping here. That is the only trap we can use for a 3 day check for bobcats. The 220 is a very effective trap in taking out a lot of predators. The bucket set is something i rarely use anymore, but if they put that restriction on the 220 it will hurt my take in coon. The MTA has an angle in which they will be taking on this situation. They are being secretive about it because they don't want the opposing side to have a counter to their approach.

Reading the rules and regulations book in MN will actually show you how to remove a bodygrip trap from a dog. When i heard one guy say he pet his dog for 10 minutes before he shot her to put her out of missery really rubs me the wrong way. If that dog was a live for 10 minutes, it wasn't going to die. Familiarizing yourself on what should have been done, would have saved that dogs life easy. I hear people say "why should i have to carry a rope when i'm hunting for these traps or a setters" well you actually dont have to. You are wearing a set of boots that have laves correct? There is your rope. Understand how to utilize it to set a bodgygrip trap and we wouldn't be having this problem. Most of these people that are having their dog killed by a 220 bodgygrip don't have a grasp on their dog when out hunting. I might not have done as much pheasent hunting as some people have, but i do know that i always knew where my dog was. It doesn't pay to have them hunting ground birds further in front of you then what your shotgun can reach :roll:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Chris,
It's not my state or my issue so I won't argue with you except to say if trappers keep killing pets,guess who'll lose in the long run.
Also it has nothing to do with responsible use of your hunting dogs.Here if we say:'by the way,while on public land,your dog might get caught by a lethal trap but don't fear,if not killed immediately,you may be able to save it by the use of your boot laces if you study the regs' simply won't cut it.Trapping here is important as well and I think more firmly in place than there but if this becomes a general public vs trappers,I know who will lose here as well.
Good hunting and trapping,
Dick
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I personally feel it is only a matter of time Dcoy before we lose the ability to use a 220 here in MN on dry land. One thing will be certain though, and that is a lot of bird hunters will be complaining about the low number of birds. In your state of SD, trappers are still allowed to use 330's on land to my knowledge. Although a huge majority do not set them on land, there is always a chance that some idiot will. The fight in MN has a lot to do with the grouse hunters. They hunt the same areas in which a lot of people are trapping bobcats. The baited bucket or cubby sets have a meat based bait behind the trap. If a coon hunter were to stick with the really sweet smelling baits on public ground, you would see the dog catches decline as well. But since we use fish, the dog is intrigued to investigate that coon set.

Understanding that by spinning the bodgygrip trap on the dogs head will allow them to breathe bretter and by you a lot of time to get the trap off. I know we as trappers don't want to see dogs in our traps, but at the same time we are harrased by other methods of take on the animal as well. I hope all hunters who pursue game with dogs educate themselves on how to remove a bodygrip trap! Not because i want to use the trap myself, but save the life of their dog who might be like family to them. Until a law is in place, everyone i know will be utilizing these kind of traps, and an educated hunter who uses dogs will save his dogs life.

I have commented a few times that maybe we as trappers should be going to these Ducks Unlimited and Pheasent Forever banquets and conventions; teaching hunters how to efficently remove a body grip trap if they are ever faced with that scenario.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!