East river coyotes? Help!!

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

yotemonger
coyotehunter

East river coyotes? Help!!

Post by yotemonger »

Hi everyone,
I am a new member here, have been enjoying reading posts from this forum. Thought it was time to join in and get some feed back. I am from Mn, but I have family in east river SD - Alpena area (south of Huron). I have been out there a few times calling coyotes with no luck, but I see plenty of sign. Are they more call shy in this area or is it just me being a rookie. :oops: I was out there two yrs ago bowhunting for deer shot 2 deer and actually a coyote with the bow. The last time I was out there about 4 or 5 yrs ago coyote hunting I was told the area had been hit hard by arial hunting. Does anyone know if the yote population is healthy out there,does anyone hunt this area? Thanks Shawn :mrgreen:
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Re: East river coyotes? Help!!

Post by RandyRoede »

Shawn, lots of coyotes in that area and very little aerial hunting. Do some homework and you should be fine.

I would worry more about sleds in that country the last two years than the plane, no doubt they have killed way more.
Randy Roede
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Shawn, I was over at Wolsey last week-end at a quick stop and started talking to a guy who lives by Alpena. Just out of the blue, he started talking about how many coyotes are in that area. I never let on like I was a coyote caller. Now I wish I had gotten his name and where he lives . Sounds like a place to hunt coyotes to me. I doubt if they are call shy. Get after them.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Shawn,
As Randy said likely lots of coyotes there and perhaps only nominal pressure the more remote you get.Suspect it might still be tough calling though.Very little 'distressed' around there this year,very little concentrated,and I'm sure every minimum maintenance rd,section line road and even fields are travelled by vehicles enuf to make it pretty hard going.For what it's worth,if you don't have time to locate first,I'd get as tight to cover(cattails whatever)as you can when you set up.I wouldn't expect them to travel far nor across much 'open' country in response to calling.Good hunting!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Sounds like a place to hunt coyotes to me. I doubt if they are call shy. Get after them.
Jerry is right its a good place to call.. I was close to the area you speak of a few years ago and had one of my better days ending up with 7 coyotes.. Some came in easey and some you had to work for or atleast be a little smarter than them.. Some places get hit by the pick-up cowboys so you should look for areas where they can't get in with a pick-up, shelter-belts, sloughs, over grown pastures and CRP are a few places you should consider. Some of the coyotes will hang out in large homestead groves as well if there is a little pressure around or not much cover..

Here are the 7 I got from the area.
yotemonger
coyotehunter

Post by yotemonger »

Wow great info, makes me feel optimistic bout making another trip out there. :D
I would like to make it out there this month, If I can find the time to get away! I appreciate all the knowledge & honest information from all of you guys.
By the way nice pic Tim, looks like one hell of a day, I would be happy with half that many dogs in a whole trip...

Thanks Guys

Shawn