This was a strange experience for me! Anyone else?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Wallowawild24
coyotehunter

This was a strange experience for me! Anyone else?

Post by Wallowawild24 »

went out to check cow calf pairs last night and came across a new born calf that had been totally consumed the only thing left was with head in legs. got the spotlight Out and saw 6 pairof eyes on the hillside. I wasn't too concerned the killing anything at the time so I went ahead and fired few rounds just trying to keep them out of the cows. they took off so I went about doing my chores and low and behold 20 minutes later they were all back. so I did the same thing I fired again at them, they disappeared and about half an hour later they were back again. no this just seems strange to me I've never seen coyote pack up like that let alone keep coming into an unsafe zone. so is anyone else on here had experiences like this cuz it's really odd to me. this all happened around 2 o'clock in the morning.
" I believe in guns and GOD, try to take them and you might meet them both"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: This was a strange experience for me! Anyone else?

Post by Dcoy »

Interesting.I have a secret solution.Please send me a map and directions how to get there.
Thank you.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

well I always am a little leary of the notion of coyotes "pack up",. Most likely just a family group but during calving coyotes from all over will come in to eat after birth. the can get aggressive fighting over the after birth and calves can get in trouble in the process. Coyotes are only get scared so many times to a loud noise, expecially in the dark. None of that seems that odd to me. Shoot a couple of them and then they will get some respect for thta gun.
Coyotes Forever
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Just curious...where are you located?
Guys...could it have been wolves? not trying to "cry wolf"...just wondering... 6 pairs of eyes seems like a lot
Get someone out there or do it yourself...shoot a few of them :D or all of them! :D hehe
Hopefully no more calf killers! Good Luck!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

The rancher I trapped for in WY found a couple calves the next day. well the HOOVES of them was all. He also said the sheep herder shot .22 in the air at night when sheep were attacked in the Bighorns, and the shooting didn't seem to stop them!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

They can really congregate (sp) on calving grounds usually if they are actually KILLING the calves you have an abundance of coyotes and few good old ones in the bunch with the expierence. I had a calving issue on one of my ranchers two weeks ago they pulled down two calves i set m-44's and flew on it and so far have killed 16 coyotes within 3 miles of the calving grounds.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It dosen't matter what time of the year there always seems to be alot of coyotes around cattle. Like mentioned I would bet on a family group that did'nt get hunted over the winter.