Catahoulas

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Wallowawild24
coyotehunter

Catahoulas

Post by Wallowawild24 »

Anyone had any experiences using catahoulas on coyotes as doggers?
" I believe in guns and GOD, try to take them and you might meet them both"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Catahoulas

Post by Dcoy »

Never heard or read about it but if they'll hunt hogs and chew up anything around they should work on coyotes I'd think.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Got curious after my post so did a 'google' and didn't find anything on coyotes but saw dog breeders selling them for herding cattle,coon hunting,human trailing,blood trailing,and about everything else.
Most were from Louisiana where the name came from as well I guess.Should work.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

There is a few around here , but they are used for herding cattle. The ones I saw were quite big, but I imagine you could train them for coyotes.
Wallowawild24
coyotehunter

Post by Wallowawild24 »

Well I got a nice male pup from a friend so I think I will try training him and see how it goes. I just found these pics on the web.not sure if they loaded though
Attachments
KlintwithZipper.jpg
09pupsontrapline4.jpg
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Let us know how it goes. Coyotes should be a pc. of cake. Like D-coy said , they use them on boar.
Wallowawild24
coyotehunter

Post by Wallowawild24 »

Will do guys, im sure its goin to be an experience thats for sure. :)
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

There ya go.If they do boars and badgers,they'll do coyotes. :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would be afraid that they would be to aggresive. If you go under the dog section in the forum.........there is some info on them for coyotes.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I have a cooperator with one for cattle. They seem to be a little large for decoy dogs, but I think they would be fine for trap line dogs or bay/running dogs.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

There you guys go with the "size" factor regarding decoy dogs again...!
Unless you're trying to use something as large as a St. Bernard you should be fine! It really just depends more on the dog and his/her and your techniques, aggressiveness of the dog(s), and the coyotes. My husband uses a blue tick/red tick cross that stands somewhere around 26" at the shoulders and he works well. I've never heard my husband or father-in-law complain about losing coyotes because of his "size". His nose tends to be more of the issue...he's got a better nose for cats...my husband has almost missed out on dens due to his lack of treeing on dens (even when he is right next to one!) or treeing an injured coyote. He'll chew on them but won't usually make a peep.
Anyways...just my 2 cents!
Good Luck with the Catahoulas...my opinion will always be to go with a HOUND though :D (blue ticks are A+++++ just gotta find a good one and with any dog...put the time into it)
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

I forgot to add...I'd be more worried having a dog that is too small rather than "too big" and get its butt kicked! lol

Our dog and my FIL's old dog (retired now) actually weigh pretty close to the same (around 70-75 lbs). When "Gorm" (the old dog) got his butt whooped because he got too far from my FIL he learned very quick how far away from him was too far :D (and he also learned that having his nose to the ground and not paying attention to his surroundings is a bad thing!) At the time this occurred, he was young, quick, and around 75 lbs, not quite as tall as our dog, but a big dog...so, even a 75 lb dog can get his butt whooped. I truly believe there are more important factors than size (within reason of course).

Another example...why do you see sheep kills even when extra-large breeds like Great Pyrenees are with the sheep to guard and protect them? Because coyotes are smart...they learn that they can get that dog distracted while other coyote(s) get in and kill a sheep. Is this always true, no, sometimes they actually are intimidated and don't kill sheep. Would I suggest using a Great Pyrenees for a decoy dog? Absolutely not, just pointing out that coyotes are not always intimidated by a large dog.

There are just so many factors that go into the why's and how's when it comes to the interactions between dogs and coyotes to really debate what is "best" because it depends greatly on these various factors and what the dog(s) will be used for as well as what your personal expectations are. We find what works good and usually stick with it (hey, we're all human right!), we all have our personal preferences.

For the newbies (especially), here's a reminder...when you go looking for a decoying/denning/etc dog REMEMBER they take lots of time and work :) So get out there and help your dog develop his/her skills :D don't just buy one and use him/her a couple times a year and expect them to be "great" dogs...also get out and watch a great dog in action and visit with the handler, that will help you understand a bit more what it entails.

This will probably be the last time I post on the size factor regarding decoying/denning/etc dogs...so unless you have a question for me regarding this...I'm done posting about size (if you see me post about it again...please remind me! lol)
So here is (hopefully) my last rant on dog sizes...
Good Luck to you all!

I chose to edit this post on my own free will (nobody asked me to)...I apologize to anyone and everyone the original post may have offended...I let my frustration get the best of me and chose not to use my best judgement in how I wrote my post. This was a poor representation of me and did not show my best side and I hope those who have read my posts before realized this and accept my apology.
Last edited by rodeorulz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Saying size does not matter in decoy dogs is about one of the most uninformed comments you could make on the subject. I know dozens of good coyote hands that run decoy dogs and most stick with the give or take 40 lb range. I do hope it is your last rant on size. You aren't getting ignored, you just have a bunch of guys on here that do this for a living and disagree with your position. Do you truly believe you are the only one that knows anything about dogs.........seriously??!! You come off as one more ignorant ass madly typing about how great they are. Take that chest pounding some were else.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'm curious since you use him as your reference in every post in what capacity is you FIL removing coyotes? Is he a county trapper, Gov't Trapper, work privately for some sheep men? Or is he just going out when him and your husband have days off at the mine and calling that "great success"? I'm not asking to belittle him or you i just want to get facts straight if we are going to have this conversation. Saying you have dogs with "alot" of success and decoying four a year vs using a dog all year round and calling in and decoying 15-25 pairs a year is a different dog altogether fill us in a little before you give us the berries.

I've always liked your posts this one kind of came out of left field with animostity (sp) that i don't know where it came from
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

CH - I know I'm not the only one that knows anything about dogs...but your comments in my opinion are proving exactly what I'm getting at. I'm not saying the 40 lb range isn't a good range/size, but to limit yourself to that because 75 lbs and 26" is just "too big" of a dog (for example), is in my opinion foolish. No, you're right, I don't do it for a living, but my FIL does and my husband is doing private work year around.
PG - My last sentence also answers one of your questions. I will message you more info about my FIL if you like (I know he does not want too much info, as far as his name goes anyways, given out all over the internet...which I don't blame him). The dogs they use have been decoying/denning/etc since they were "old enough" (which is still a very young age) and used on a constant basis from as early as April until as late as September and absolutely NOT used during the winter, the guys have their reasons which I'm not going to go on about because I'm sure you both know why and would agree with their reasoning. There was a post on another thread that brought up "size" that I had commented on (can't remember which one without digging a little bit...).

Correct me if I'm wrong but both of you trap, call, decoy, etc for a living?

Sorry for the rant again...you are right CH to a certain extent...but ignorant ass...no, I do not consider what I wrote to have a need for being called that. But I did have a lot of frustration built up, yes, and that probably made it come across that way to some people.

I hope you two don't mind me asking...What "size" range do you guys use/prefer for your decoy dogs? And would you honestly turn down an A+ decoy dog that would normally be what you would consider "too big" just because of that reason (or if you already had the dog and he/she grew to be "too big")?