Catahoulas

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Catahoulas

Post by Coyotehunter »

Thanks for the PM rodeorulz. We can try this again. This is a subject that has been hammered to death, mainly due to the fact most guys/gals having the conversation are not actually using decoy dogs or if they are they are not using them for denning. More of the interest is for recreation, not control work. This is a control tool that has been brought to the novice hunter through video and talk forums. To many experts out there who seen it once or watched a video, read up on it and now are spewing the gospel on the subject. I was introduced to decoy dogs by Walt Earl Jr. out of Judith Gap, Mt. I spent 8 days with him in the last part of May some years back. I have hunted with him several times since over the years and always go away with a ton of info from a man that was using dogs on coyotes before most of these Johnny come latelys were born. He started with dogs on coyotes in the late 50's and worked for the Dept of interior mainly doing lion work most of the year until the early 80's. You can find some of his dog articles in Full Cry magazine going back 3 decades. Walt uses Border Collies, Australian Shepard, Airedale, and Heeler crosses. He likes herd dogs, that listen and learn very fast. To watch his dogs is nothing short of amazing. I grew up with Border Collies, loved watching Walts dogs but would not use them on my line. I like a more pure hunting dog on my line. Thats just me, would by know means think that my decoy dogs are better than Walts or anyone elses for that matter. They work great for me and very happy with them overall on my line year round.

I am also very familier with Craig O'Gormans dogs, I have made a couple of trips to see him over the years. Great guy with lots of coyote dog experience. My Pepper dog's mom came out of Craig line of O'G Dorn dogs. Craig Likes a smaller dog for A lot of the same reasons I and so many others do. Not sure were the idea that a 26" dog will not work came from but most guys like a smaller dog for lots of reasons but not because a big dog will not work.

As far as this thread, the question was asked about Catahoulas and how they would be as a decoy dog. My understanding was that this guy is inexperienced with decoy dogs. My answer to anyone new to Decoy dogs would be to get a Dorn or Cur for a dog. If they do not have Hunting dog experience and would say a herd dog. I would never tell some one new to Decoy dogs to get themselves a couple of Blueticks hound pups as there first decoy dogs. I grew up with hounds great dogs for the experienced dog guy but not for the faint of heart.

Now I know a bunch of guys who either use straight hounds, or a mix of hound, terrier, and cur. I prefer to use more of the Dorn format for a decoy dog and like a mix to get what I am looking for. I do not have room for a dozen dogs so I am looking for a few that can run drags, track cripples, find cyn. gunned coyotes and decoy. they have to do it all but straight Hounds can make great coyote dogs. I personally don't care for all the noise on my way into a stand that you can get from straight hounds. I don't like coyotes running me over on my way in but that is just me. I also personally like a smaller dog, or at the least the smallest I can get away with, which I think is about 35-40 lbs. I run an Airdale that is 23" and goes about 60 lbs. He caught on fast and figured out what I wnated him to do when the coyotes showed and does a great job for me. I know several other control guys who run Airdales. I think they are great dogs. The down side......size. He needs more food, water, and space. I do this for a living, my dogs are tools. If I can get a smaller dog that will do all that I need I would not look any further than that. Now for size with coyotes, it does matter. I have a Beagle that is 14 years old and goes with me most everyday. just for the fact if I leave him home he gets fat and bored. I got him for the kids and like most kids pets I am the one cleaning up, watering and feeding him. He is just easier to have around if he gets some exercise during the day. Well he don't travel much these days and stays pretty close to me on stand. The number of times I have had coyotes come in on stand and avoid the bigger dogs, flat hide from them and wait for there chance to get to Harley the Beagle is beyond comical for me. they will come sneaking in and try to kill my little beagle. Harley will know there comeing for him and he trys is best to disappear. If they can pick between confronting my 60 lb airedale, or my 42 lb cur/dorn cross or the Beagle......they pick the beagle. Now we have a bunch of Guard dogs over here; Akbash and Pyrenees dogs mostly. The Akbash is a very impressive dog to see, 125-135 lb dog, cross between a sighthound and a Mastiff. These things will flat scare the shit out of most other dogs and raise hell with coyotes. I have one rancher that runs upwards to 20 of them in the mountains on about 2500 ewe/lamb pairs. If you would like to try use these for decoy dogs......well good luck. On the other end of the spectrum is the Jack Russel or Jagdterrier, lots of everything but just to small. Don't tell them that but if they are not careful they can get themselves in trouble. I do think there is to big and to small. for the experienced dog handler I will let them decide for themselves were that line is. I think it depends on the breed and the individual dog but ultimately it comes down to the dog handler what is the right dog for him or her. For the new guy out there trying to get into decoy dogs I would say stay with something that is proven and manageable for the average hunter.
Coyotes Forever
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Re: Catahoulas

Post by rodeorulz »

Thank you CH!