Mountain Lion Calling???

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Way to go man that is awesome. I cross my fingers someday I get the chance at one. That would be a feat to accomplish then sit back and go WOW :shock: how do I top this one. Again congrats man.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That is incredible. Congrats! I was running trail snares last week and came across some lion tracks. When I was there today going through that cedar choked draw you can not help but think what "if " a Lion is watching. Found some scat from a lion this summer while setting setting traps in another pasture. I still have not seen one in the wild. That would be pretty awesome to see 3 at once.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

That is fricken awesome!! Way to go man.

Talk about scary stuff, those cats are always watching you and you don't even know it
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dusty
coyotehunter

Post by Dusty »

i wish i had luck like that. Congrats littlebigenuf, i have been trying to do that for awhile now. Thats really odd and scary the cats didn't care about you being a 150 yards away. After all that, I wonder what kind of buck you will get. Congrats again
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Wow! Within a years time you get your first coyote AND lion! What a year! Live it up and enjoy it! :D
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

No kidding. I may have used all my luck up for this year. I was out yesterday and seen 26 mule deer bucks but still none big enough that I want to shoot. Thank you to you all.
jcb1911

Post by jcb1911 »

I was skimming over some of the posts and there has been several questions on different sounds and techniques to use while trying to call lions. I have a fellow ADC buddy in New Mexico who takes more than his fair share of problems lions each year. His go to technique is following the Mule Deer. He tries to put himself between known mule deer feeding and bedding areas and prime big cat habitat. Some of the sounds he uses are calf in distress, a mule deer doe and fawn distress, and I dont know where he got it but he also has a buffalo calf in distress and he tells me it really works. Hope you got alot of patience and ice water in your veins because this is one predator thats not for the faint of heart.
Jesse Barnett
Haydel's Game Calls Pro Staff
BoarHoggLight Pro Staff
Calling Coyotes is not a hobby it's an Obsession!!!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Thanks for the information. I have friends who have been trying with no luck, and I will pass this information on. The idea of putting yourself in where the mule deer are will be kinda hard to do as they are all over the place. The season is over for this year as the quota has been met for this year.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is a guy in Arizona with the last name Craig i believe i will look up some more info when i have time. He has a guide service based solelly on calling big cats and shoots if i remember right 12-18 lions a year on the call with clients i would try to get a hold of him if possible.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dusty
coyotehunter

Post by Dusty »

thank you all for the great ideas keep them coming, the season is closed for this area so i will have to switch areas. It does get rather freakish sitting out their waiting for one to show his face. The sad thing is i have had plenty of coyotes sneak up on me, now imagine what a cat can do. I'm also going to try and call in some bobcats any additional info on them would also be appreciated
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

i have called in 2 different lions in the years, one i never saw but his tracks was in the snow on top of mine when i left the area, and the second when i got up from a stand i saw the magpies flying away so i ran to a rim and saw it for a second before he left, it is very hard to call cats unless you know they are close, they can have up to 100 square miles for a male depending on the deer population, i was wondering about using a foal nawi because that is one of the lions favorit, or lamb call if a lion is killing sheep, i think i would night hunt with another person sitting back to back and using a red spot light then you could see their eyes and use a shotgun and maybe a diaper
Dusty
coyotehunter

Re: Mountain Lion Calling???

Post by Dusty »

anyone been hearing of new techniques on hunting mountain lions. Has anyone been spotting any. I hear their maybe a mountain lion north of Watford City.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I would say there is plenty of mountain lions in the watford city area
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Theres more Mt. Lions out there than a guy think. I know last year hunting out there I kept a close eye over my shoulder.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I wasn't gonna look for you :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,