Wild dogs

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Wild dogs

Post by Skinny Indian »

Here's a question. When you guys are out hunting coyotes or fox do you ever get wild/feral dogs coming in? How do you guys handle that? Do you shoot? See, thing is, where I'm at now something has killed a couple kittens and attacked a chicken, and IDK exactly what it is, only seen it's eyes at night, reflecting off my flashlight. I'm considering setting up a stand for it, and seeing what comes in (if anything at all does). I've been told though, that there are wild dogs about in dem der woods. What do you guys think?
Keep your powder dry.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Wild dogs

Post by Tim Anderson »

Stray dogs are not protected here so i put them down when seen out hunting.. Other state laws may vary and if you have to shoot one make dam sure its owner is'nt walking somewhere near by..

As for your problem it dosen't sound like it could be a dog, but then again you never know.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Tim Anderson wrote:Stray dogs are not protected here so i put them down when seen out hunting.. Other state laws may vary and if you have to shoot one make dam sure its owner is'nt walking somewhere near by..

As for your problem it dosen't sound like it could be a dog, but then again you never know.
I'd have no clue what state laws are, I'll have to call DNR (or w/e they're called here) probably. I'm hunting a marked, fenced private area so if the owner is nearby while this thing is attacking my animals he's in the wrong anyways. The only reason I'm thinking dog is the kittens were killed near the house and the critter didn't seem as shy as I'd expect out of a coyote. That's when it went for a chicken. It scares me something gets that close to the house, of course earlier I wasn't home and I think it didn't realize I was here later on in the evening when I spotted it. It was maybe 50 yards away and I looked at it for a good five to ten seconds before it took off. I didn't have my rifle just my handgun so it got to live another day. All I could see were the eyes in my flashlight. But, until I get a good shot/body I won't know for sure. Thanks.
Keep your powder dry.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

If you don't have a yard dog then all kinds of critters will show up by the house, like coyotes ,coon, fox, skunks and so on.. They seem to get alot braver when the sun goes down and if there is any kind of food laying around or walking they will take a interest..... Anyway good luck with what ever it is.
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

Tim Anderson wrote:If you don't have a yard dog then all kinds of critters will show up by the house, like coyotes ,coon, fox, skunks and so on.. They seem to get alot braver when the sun goes down and if there is any kind of food laying around or walking they will take a interest..... Anyway good luck with what ever it is.

All the dogs in the yard are in a pen or chained, so that could be it. The foxes seem to just pass through, I guess they have a den nearby so I leave them be. They don't bother anything. Usually it's just some Opossums that I see close. The kittens were killed during the day though, and one of the dogs got out. My first instinct was it was her, but she's scared of her own shadow. They didn't even carry away what they killed either, so that makes me think it was a dog rather than a coyote, but one never knows. As far as I can tell the chicken got away. I haven't had anything since, so we'll see. Thanks for the help and well wishes!
Keep your powder dry.