winter camping

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

winter camping

Post by jaybic »

Has anyone ever tried camping out in a wall tent in Nd? In January? how'd it go? thinking of trying something that sounds painfully stupid....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: winter camping

Post by Coyotehunter »

if you had a wood stove in there I think it would be dueable. You get lots of moisture in the tent, might start to rain in there after a bit. getting up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire sucks.
Coyotes Forever
Jeck
coyotehunter

Post by Jeck »

FYI - The average low in January is 2 degrees... and the record low is -45!

Save a few extra bucks right now to pay for a hotel when you get here. That would be a miserable stay... it would be tough to get out of a warm sleeping bag to stoke the fire.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Use a L-P stove and be sure to have a vent open in the tent which will keep it from raining inside.. The stove you could make yourself if you have the tools and knowledge and it would'nt cost you very much to make... Now get out there and have a good time...
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

thanks fellas, the good thing is I am not new to this as I have 120 days of my life above the arctic circle in Norway back when I was a jarhead but we had different gear then. arctic 10 man tents with a yukon stove that would burn "mogas", wood or what ever else ya put in it but what we didnt have to put up with was the wind that ND has. I have never used a wall tent(one of those cabelas style elk camp tents but I would think it would be pretty similar but I suspect wood in the Dickinson area could be real hard to come by so we are thinking LP. I have also heard that those stoves can burn regular charcoal but I have no idea how much it would burn in say a 12hr overnight time period. We have a hotel booked but we were thinking we could save quite a bit by camping and it might be a blast if we do it right and plan it out carefully and correctly. might be hell to I guess but oh well, ya only live once. I think.

Anyone with any ideas, eperience or tips, feel free to chime in....lol

Jaybic
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

If we have a winter like last year you will be ok if not let us know how it turns out if you make it. when you come let me know maybe we could hunt with you 1 day
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Jabic. don't rule out camping/sleeping in an abondoned grain bin?. if you can find one with a cement floor that is clean and it has the lid on top, it can make for a decent winter shelter.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

well, it seems like we found a better option than camping this year so we are all good but thanks for the ideas anyway. I was kinda looking forwards to it but on the other hand, I rememeber the NDCC of about 3 years ago when it was -29 degrees!!!!!!! and Marty, if we are in the neighborhood and get a chance, we would love to make a few stands with you fellas if it worked out! Never been up in your part of ND and we are gonna try and sneak in a few post tourny days to hunt so that would be really cool. If not, it is very cool of you to offer and I appreciate it none the less! See yall at the classic!!!!

Jaybic