Off to a good start this season

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Off to a good start this season

Post by Tim Anderson »

Don't see a forum here for it so I guess I'll just post it here..
Been out since the coon openner doing a bit of calling and had a few good days and a few just so so days but atleast I have some time away from work to be outdoors calling..
I took abunch of coon over to a local fur buyer day after the openner and he got them put up with just a tadd of blue showing so I kicked things into gear and went out every chance I had while the weather is good and work being a little slow.
Been covering roughly 2 counties hitting as many creek bottoms and vacant wood lots as I can get permission to get into, most of the places I've been calling are some of the same areas we hunt coyotes in so I know the areas pretty good and were I should be looking for den trees and so on. The biggest problem is some land owners are worried about me scareing the deer off when calling but still managed to talk them into letting me on there property as most of the crops are out and the deer have nowhere else to go so they will come back once I leave the area..
I've been useing my WT mighty atom E-caller and still no issues with it and most sounds I use on it have been produceing coons, so whats to complain about..
Some guys say just coon vocals is the way to go when after coon but I found that bird,rabbit, mouse distress sounds work just as well exspecialy with the younger or more timid coon.. The majority of my call-ins has been males young and old and running on avr. 25-30 pounds with a few heavey weights showing up at 30-35 pounds and one big bore at 38.5 pounds...
For a rifle I've been useing my Magnum research 10/22 mag. (clone of the ruger) which has worked great but still trying to find a factory load that will get the job done as far as killing the coon clean as I have been haveing some that require a follow up shot even on good hits. I like the head shots but when calling coon on most stands they come in fast and furious and at times have multaples comeing down the tree so you have to take what shots you can before they hit the ground....
I had a gillie suite laying around and I put it to good use as it helps me with the way I set up to call.. Some of the experts say put the caller behind the tree so the coon has to come around for a better look when it exits its hole.. I like to set up looking at the hole so I can tell if I have any peekers that might be a little shy, if so I then can switch to a sound that interests them more like bird distress or vole mouse.. The caller will be sitting off to one side at 9:00 or 3:00 from the den hole....
Anyway here are a few pic.s from some of my hunts...

The big boar;

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Off to a good start this season

Post by Coyotehunter »

I love calling in raccoon. good job Tim
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Here are a few more and Thanks..
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Good clean fun. Only done it once but it was a ball.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

No coon today but did get a vixen to come in on a stand..
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Its been pretty quiet her and hope everyone has gotten out to do a little hunting or trapping..

The weather has been pretty dam nice for this time of year and I finally got laid-off for the season so I'm back at it calling wise..I hit a few new spots and a few old spots that produced a few coon in the past and managed to get five and lost two cripples that made it back into a hole..The fur is looking good and I'm also getting some good size coon to boot so no complaints Its getting to the point that I can drive down a road and look at a area and pick out den tree's pretty easey and usually get a coon or two out of each one I find, I have some areas I want to hit but I have to wait till deer season is over then its pretty much open range for me and hopefully the weather holds and I can get a few more.. Might be getting a new rifle or freezer if the coon keep comeing in like they have..

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a little more of the coon calling in the past couple of years and if u have not tried it you are really missing out.