help with running a calling contest.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jshull70
coyotehunter

help with running a calling contest.

Post by jshull70 »

Last was the first year I put on a calling contest here in south east az. And we had four hunts, and on out thrid hunt we had a team bring 10 dogs. I am new to checking all over but was funny that most other teams blanked or had three at the most. Then on the final contest they brought in 7 and same thing second place team had 3 or so. So mad me think they are cheating. I don't have an iedahow to temp check them. Or anything or that nature. This year iI am doing it again and the same team did it and this time they brought 7 and one fox to win it with second being 5 coyotes.

I would like some help on temp probing, also with maybe the kill blocks seems like a great idea but this is just a fun calling contest no big money just for people to win some money and prizes for fun. I am running out my house and take care of all the dead remains and just running bymyself with little help from people. So if you guys could to help me out on what I can do to get the cheaters out it would be great.

What kind of temps would I be looking for also with the kill blocks how many do you hand out to one team before the event. I was hoping to keep the a honor type of deal but seems like there has to be cheaters no mater what thanks

Jacob
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: help with running a calling contest.

Post by Coyotehunter »

give me a day or two and I will put some things up on here for you on this topic
jshull70
coyotehunter

Post by jshull70 »

Thanks for the help, I would like to keep it simple if I could, cause I like to do it again next year. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Jacob
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the temps. are more of a range that you expect all the coyotes to fall into. You should have several coyotes shot in the morning and just before dark. those coyotes shot in the morning should all be with in a 5-10 deg. of each other if shot a few hours apart. you have them put the times on the blocks so you can compare the time to the temp. if you have 10 coyotes all shot at about the same time the temps should be all real close to one another. Keep in mind; the size, were it was shot, mange........lots of things can effect the temp. if something doesn't look right set those coyotes to the side and split the team up and start asking questions, see if their stories match.