Long range coyote rifle

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

cornbeagledown
coyotehunter

Long range coyote rifle

Post by cornbeagledown »

I'm considering building a new rifle for long range varmint hunting. Hoping to be able to tag a coyote at 800 to 1000 yards or at least have the capability to send a bullet that far with accuracy. Maybe i'm setting my goals a little to high but "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" (Wayne Gretzky). Anyway i'm wondering if anyone out there has any good advice on caliber and good parts to piece one together. Hoping to be able to build it reasonably cheap because my gun dealer now owes me an incredible favor but i'd think that $2,500 dollars w/o a scope would be able to get me somewhere.
cornbeagledown
coyotehunter

Re: Long range coyote rifle

Post by cornbeagledown »

Forgot to mention i do have a reloader and plan on hand loading rounds if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think that is a do-able price range. The last two guns I built were on Shilen high grade barrels and triggers. I used Remington BDL 700 actions in both. one is a .204 and the other a .22-.250 Ackley. really happy with the performance of both guns but would not think of them as 1000 yard guns. My .22-6mm will reach out there but I think I would build something around the 105 gr. .244 if I was to build a 1000 yard coyote gun.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It don't hurt to dream or set your sites high but I would be looking more at the 500 yd. range for killing coyotes with 800 yds. be max.. Good distance to practice at before you try to tackle the 1000 yd. mark.. 1000 yard coyotes don't grow on tree's and most may not give you the time to get everything dialed in and don't forget a wind meter and some sort of bullet drop chart or electro gizmo to figure it all out for you.. Good luck..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I agree 100%
slo
coyotehunter

Post by slo »

It all depends on if you are trying to do it for fur or just cut down on the numbers in your area. To reach out that far accurately you are going to need a heavier round that will be predictable with the wind. I know a 6.5 grendel will reach out that far fairly accurately but then I don't know how bad the exit wound will be, if you plan on selling the fur that is. I personally don't like the 22cal rounds for shooting past the 600-700 yard mark on a target that small due to the effects on the wind. I know a 223WSSM has a pretty flat trajectory and is extremely fast when hand loaded, I just don't have the experience or knowledge of the round with an engagement that far. Either way, like it has been previously stated it will take practice so you can gather information on what type of corrections to make for wind. Just my .02
cornbeagledown
coyotehunter

Post by cornbeagledown »

Thank you all for the info. Not sure because i've never had experience with much over 500 yards but was wondering about a 6mmBR or if that is more of a paper punching gun. Read a lot of good reviews about it but have never shot one and I don't know anyone that has one. 243 Ackley would be another candidate i think but once again i've never handled nor do i know anyone that has one.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

I would just do a 243 win easy to load for a broad range of bullet options. Off the shelf ammo is readily available. What's not to like about a 6mm bullet there are a lot of accurate factory rifles made in this caliber and a lot of different factory ammo choices.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If youre set on the 1000 yd mark I would go with the 6.5-284
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
AK Roy
coyotehunter

Post by AK Roy »

I like the 224 Clark made off the 257 Roderts case and use 80grmatch king
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have not heard of that one. I know a few guys that really like the .257 Roberts imp.
DPMS Panther Arms
coyotehunter

Post by DPMS Panther Arms »

Another great round to look at for that long range of shooting is the DPMS .260 or the 6.5 Creedmore. they both have great long range ballistics and have proven them selves at many ranges across the country. The 260 can run the 125-140 grain rounds great and the 6.5 120-140 grain rounds great. Both of these rifles are based of the 308 caliber and run off the large frame rifle platform's we offer.