New rifle stock

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

devildogg
coyotehunter

New rifle stock

Post by devildogg »

I'm looking for a new stock for my rifle right now I have a Darrel holland signature series stock on it which is made by McMillan and the same as the McMillan hunter. I have problems hitting running shots with it. It just doesn't fit we'll at all it has a high comb and it's hard to find a sight picture when I'm rushed on fallow up shots. Does a one have any ideas on a stock that is slim sleek a straight comb a slim grip with a slight palm swell a narrow forend. Maybe it's just me being a bad shot but I have always took pride in my shooting abilities especially on running shots there used to be never a coyote that would get away inside of 300yd but since I had a gun built I have a hard time hitting running shots. I have a new barrel waiting to get cut and chambered and would like to get a stock also what's everyone's idea on a gun that will balance and be fast handling for shooting shots out to 400+ and hitting the runners. What would be the perfect balance for a barrel length also my barrel is a #3 sporter.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: New rifle stock

Post by Coyotehunter »

what is the length of the barrel?
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

It's a switch barrel one barrel is 20" and one is 23" and the one that is a #3 is a blank wait to be cut and chambered when I figure out what to do.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For running shots I have always been a big fan of the Sako hunter stock, reason being better cheek weld and eye to scope alignment. When hunting coyotes at home running shots are pretty much all we get.. Most of the cal.s I use are pretty close ballistic wise so I don't have to re-adjust for lead on runners. Started using a 22-250 last season on coyotes when I hunt with the dogs, took a lot of getting used to for getting the proper lead, as of late its been working out well but do wish the savage stock had a Sako comb on it.. A good fast bullet also helps out on the lead time.