Mentoring needed: Building a dedicated coyote rifle.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jordan
coyotehunter

Mentoring needed: Building a dedicated coyote rifle.

Post by Jordan »

This question has prolly been asked a million times, so I apologize for asking it again. I want to build a dedicated coyote rifle. The caliber will be .20 Titan (.20 Grendel) shooting Berger 55 grain bullets at 3500-3600 fps. That combo makes for a capable 600-800 yard gun. I hunt in the west, so the shots can be long. Most of the time there won't be much hiking involved; just park the truck and maybe hike a half-mile to a calling spot. My question is: what barrel contour and what length? I'd like a gun with enough heft that I can make 500 yard shots or better off a bipod, so I need a barrel with a little heft. If I was shooting off a bench, I'd prolly want 26" in length for the .20 Titan and go with a heavy target contour, but with a 24" tube I should still be able to consistently get 3500 fps from a 24" bbl and a shorter bbl is a little handier. I was thinking of a Douglas light target contour (1.200 ID at the breech and straight taper to .750" at muzzle). Another option would be the Remington Varmint contour which is about .850 at the muzzle, but with an inside radius in front of the breech. There is an obvious trade-off with barrel weight. I don't want it too heavy, but not too light. My action is a Rem model 7. Also could use some advise re the stock. I am leaning toward a McMillan HTG or McMillan Rem Varmint.

Any advise from experienced, long-range coyote hunters is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Mentoring needed: Building a dedicated coyote rifle.

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes to any of the above mentioned. Its your build so you need to make the decisions. as for a 800 yard gun for coyotes, nope its not going to happen....good luck with the build...
Jordan
coyotehunter

Post by Jordan »

Tim, thanks for the advise. I decided to go with a Douglas 5A contour. It will finish up about .750" at the muzzle. A little heavy perhaps, but I could use a little exercise.

Thanks again.

Jordan
Jordan
coyotehunter

Post by Jordan »

Tim, thanks for the advise. I decided to go with a Douglas 5A contour. It will finish up about .750" at the muzzle. A little heavy perhaps, but I could use a little exercise.

Thanks again.

Jordan
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

lots of limits with a .20 for coyotes.