Grendel/Zeus Coyote Thermal Video

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Double Naught Spy
coyotehunter

Grendel/Zeus Coyote Thermal Video

Post by Double Naught Spy »

http://youtu.be/llU5-7Sykh8

Went out hog and predator hunting in north Texas in high winds last night and saw virtually nothing until the winds calmed down to a pleasant 3-9 mph from 30-35 mph. Then the deer and 'dillos came out and eventually this coyote appeared. He was tracking from right to left like he had somewhere to be. So I squealed at him a couple of times to try to get him to stop while I got the rifle up and the scope and recorder up and running. Instead of stopping, he turned and came bounding toward me! I tried blowing the squeal a couple of more times, thinking he might stop and try to figure out where the sound was coming from, but it just motivated him to come faster.

I didn't get the shot on the first pass, but spied him circling around and getting back on his original course. So when I got back on the rifle again and was ready, I squealed two more times and that finally did stop him and I made the shot. The 6.5 Hornady SST hit behind the left shoulder and exited behind the right shoulder with about a quarter-sized hole, apparently hitting major blood vessels and lung(s). The shot was 114 yards.

I stayed for a couple of more hours, but the hogs never showed.

The 123 gr. Hornady SST entered behind the left shoulder and exited behind the right shoulder with about a quarter-sized hole. Along the way, the bullet caught a major blood vessel(s?) and lung(s).

Sorry I messed up on getting the sound of the calls and rifle report. I changed to a new recorder and failed to activate the internal mic. That is now fixed...for the next hunt...

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Grendel/Zeus Coyote Thermal Video

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good shooting.... If I may add you have awfully big quarters...
Double Naught Spy
coyotehunter

LOL, the blood around the wound makes it look MUCH bigger. The actual tissue hole is about the size of a quarter.

The Hornady SST round does a good job, especially for this size of animal, though I would not say that it is a pelt saver. :shock:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Still plenty big.. I like a bullet that just leaves a little hole going in and then stays on the inside dumping all its energy...
Double Naught Spy
coyotehunter

I hear ya. My primary target is hogs and so that is what I am prepared to shoot. Coyotes and bobcats are just an aside. If I hit them lengthwise, however, there isn't a problem.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great post