Improved Offhand

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Improved Offhand

Post by Dcoy »

Want to improve your 'standing' opportunities?Consider trying a few of these ideas.

http://artoftherifleblog.com/structural ... art-1.html

I'm fascinated with some of this including the point about LOP(lengh of pull).Back in the day when shooting running fox was a regular thing my best shooting was done with a shorter LOP in my 17s.Even today,I often carry one of my wife's rifles if I'm spot/stalking anything(elk this year) and her's are a full half inch shorter than mine.Food for thought.
A 4 part series so click 'next' to move on.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Improved Offhand

Post by Coyotehunter »

Interesting read. Tubbs has some great videos on the subject.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Improved Offhand

Post by Tim Anderson »

When hunting the coyotes at home most shots are standing and at a runner. I stand with left foot forward and favor the left side of my body when holding or aiming the rifle, my left foot is also pointing to the target, actually pretty much my whole left side is and rib cage is used for support... It works for me..

P.S. as for my rifles I use what fits comfortably and most have the higher cheek comb and I don't like to use a rifle with a short stock as your face will be to far forward with head tipped, I want my head to be as vertical as possible with not much canting to the side. As I shoulder the rifle I lock my cheek into position and acquire the target, follow through and squeeze as the cross hair lines up with head or nose of the coyote..