Coyote vocalization.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

JBG
coyotehunter

Coyote vocalization.

Post by JBG »

Alright. So i am fairly new to calling coyotes. This is pretty much my second winter calling and only went out a handful of times last year. I Have been out quite a bit more this year and learning alot. I have been having some good luck but just looking to expand on my knowledge. So far pretty much all i have used is the ol go to jackrabbit and cotton tail distress and the only coyote vocals i have used is the pup distress. Usually after a shot and miss or if there is more than one coyote. And i like to throw it in towards the end of a calling sequence if no dogs have come in to the rabbit distress. So my question is when do i use coyote vocals? And which ones. Like say just a lone howl? When should i use it?(What time of year and in the calling sequence). Will dogs come in to a howl alone or will you howl then play the rabbit distress? Same with like a female challenge call. Do you limit yourself to using it at only certain times of year? And same thing. Do you use it by itself? Or again do u use it and then play something else? Also if you really feel like typing and can kinda touch base on why you use the call when you do or what strings its pulling in the coyotes mind. Like the pup distress pulls at there insticts to kinda help out there pack members. So just kinda wondering on why like say the female challenge call works? Obviously it is a challenge of some sort but why? Why or when would she do it.soo ya. I know im kinda asking alot here but Just kinda trying to learn as much as i can about the actual coyote themselves too. Thanks very much for any info or help you have. It is greatly appreciated. And any more vocalizations you may use that you can tell me about would be great also! Thanks again. Jonny.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Coyote vocalization.

Post by Coyotehunter »

Are you using a open reed call or a recorded vocal.
JBG
coyotehunter

Post by JBG »

As of right now mainly recorded sounds. I have bought a couple open reed calls and a mfk diaphragm call and have been practicing with but not quite confident enough yet to stray away from the foxpro. Eventually i wanna use more and more hand calls so i dont have to lug around the foxpro. More hands for hualing dogs back to the truck! ;) but it is nice having so many sounds at the press of a button.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

This time of year I would start with female howls. Call for :30 - :45 and glass for 5-7 min. and a minimum of 25 min. per stand.