Hearing em

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Hearing em

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Just came in from the front porch, out there just enjoying the night air with a cup of tea & honey. The yotes got fired up and started their yip/howl down on the creek bed a couple of blocks south of me, on the edge of town. That was fun to listen too! Too bad I can't hunt those dogs, they are inside city limits :( . Then I picked up on a distant challenge howl and they shut up. Probably the young of last year down on the creek and the challenge howl was a crusty old seasoned veteran, and they shut up rather than deal him. :o

But I barely heard that challenge howl in the distance....the hearing is going with age. Last week I went out one night and did some roadin' with my locator siren sounds and got no come back back howls. Now I'm wonderin' if maybe I got some, and couldn't hear 'em. I've got a pair of amplified hearing protector muffs, with a pretty good volume control and I guess it's time to start wearing them in the field. I kinda hate to have to do that b'cause I've tried to be pretty minimalist about what I carry around out there. I generally take my bag stool with my caller, knife, a piece of rope fer draggin and maybe my cell phone, or camera. Adding the muffs will make that little stool a bit tight to pack stuff in. 'Sides that, as I get older I find I want to pack less and less weight around out there! Kinda like my little pop up blind, it works really good for concealment, but I quit using it b'cause it's a pain in the arse to pack around!

Part of getting older I know........but it sucks!!!!!!! :(
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Hearing em

Post by Dcoy »

Amen.Hearing still good but the endurance not so much.One day last week 'out west',the temp got up to 68 and man did that slow me down.(yes,68 the first week in Feb!!!)In the AM I made a 4 mile 'loop' OK and even carried 1 out with me.In the afternoon I stripped down to light pants and a base layer top,removed most everything but call from my backpack,even removed my rifle bipod and still struggled.Cut an approx 5 mile loop to about 3 and still ran out of steam. :(
Did shoot 2 but eventually got permission to open gates and get close to them by vehicle.Thank god.
That experience opened my eyes to reality and decided that in that kind of country I'm going to take an ADC guys advice n start using an ATV-noise or not.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Hearing em

Post by Coyotehunter »

I love my buggy. I can cover 3 times the ground on the trop line then I could with a pickup
20140605_183629 (800x450).jpg