Light Coyote caliber recomendation

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

abbo
coyotehunter

Light Coyote caliber recomendation

Post by abbo »

Greetings,

Most of my planned coyote hunting will be done in Western PA (backwoods), at night, calling in, most shots will be 50-100 yds. There are residents somewhat nearby and although I've received approval from the local landowner, I do not want residents ringing his phone off the hook complaining :evil: That said, what's the best caliber (quite) for this type of hunting where I really want to leave a 'light footprint'.

Thanks,
Randy
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Light Coyote caliber recomendation

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Are you shooting suppressed? Light caliber coyote rifles i would highly recommend the 204. There is a few guys on here shooting 17-204s with a lot of success. Although unless you go suppressed the difference is sound is not going to be much. Unless you have been shooting a real big caliber like a 7mag
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
abbo
coyotehunter

Post by abbo »

Not shooting suppressed, they seem like lot of money for not much reduction in DB's.... at least from what I know.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You can shoot 22 or 30 caliber at subsonic though where you have no sound just the sound of the action working or the firing pin! look up Gentec Suppressors the money is worth it if you have the need or do it professionally
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Shot gun is another option, the sound does not travel like a center fire. The 300 blackout suppressed subsonic is the ticket if suppressed firearms are allowed for hunting in your state. Great for the ranges you are talking.
abbo
coyotehunter

Post by abbo »

Prairie Ghost, I will check out Gemtech thx. I am guessing that from your response, the '17 family' calibers would not be good for this type of hunting since they are so fast (and thus loud)... correct?

Thx agn,
r
Last edited by abbo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abbo
coyotehunter

Post by abbo »

Coyotehunter, ok so being new to this (waterfowl/upland hunter for 35 years).... I'm looking at Gemtech's ammo, I see a "300BLK subsonic" at 950-975 fps and a 187 gr bullet...

First, what the heck is a "300BLK" caliber? :? I'm missing something here I just don't know what... :oops:

Second, wouldn't a 187 gr bullet on exit beat up a coyote pelt at say 75d yds?

Thx agn,
r
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I believe it is a .223 necked up to a .30 and at the lower velocity it can't be any worse then the high speed .22 cal. Loads with polymer tips or the thin jacketed hollow points.