Somedays yer the windshield....

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Re: Somedays yer the windshield....

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Yup! That's a good day! :D

This morning I talked to the dog hunters, they were at a local convenience store when I stopped to fill my thermos. They were heading out to the same area I planned to hunt this morning.......oh well.

On the other hand, only three truck loads this morning because yesterday they totaled one pick up in a roll over on a icy gravel road. :shock:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hope the truck wasn't seriously hurt.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep crashes can happen sometimes when running is good. Do these guys run and gun or catch? Dogs can cover a lot of ground when running a coyote and the hounds men need to keep up to help get the dogs across the next road or to even protect them from traffic and some try to get ahead of the dogs so they can spike fresh dogs back into the game...Everyone hunts different like in my case the chase is usually over in just a mile of running, did have a five and eight mile run the other day that was mostly just for the dogs and the coyote ended up winning both times, no big deal..
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

From talking to them I gather they are "run and gun" hunters. They drop the dogs and then try to get ahead of them so they can shoot when the coyotes get to the next road. If the yotes get through unscathed, they release a fresh group and one of them tries to gather up the first bunch and then rejoin the chase.
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

I'd feel bad for the guy's dogs if they were hurt but not so much for the dummy driving, anyone driving that wild just to kill a coyote has to have a few screws loose. Coyote hunting has to be a damn expensive endeavor for the crews that chase em with trucks and dogs when vehicle expenses are factored in.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I feel sorry for the truck.Only.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep its expensive but worth every penny. Like said everyone hunts them different for some its more about the dogs than a dead coyote. Last week my group wasn't out much or only hunted in the mourning so I ran my dogs alone and ran over 15 coyotes just for the running. Dogs was happy and I was just as happy with there performance. The dogs is just another tool for helping keep the numbers in check and nice to have around to get rid of the difficult coyotes that the caller group has messed up on.. Fresh ears... good hunting..