Summer coyote hunting.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Summer coyote hunting.

Post by alleyyooper »

Sure is different than hunting in the fall winter and spring. Mostly the difference is the tall grass and leaves on short trees/shrubs. But there is also those darn biting bugs, deer fly's are just horrible here right now. Wear my bug jacket but they will still get in the pant legs if you do not pay attention and they bite which draws blood. Don't want to use bug dope because of the stink not natural.
My friend John owns a farm and raises beef cattle and his wife runs a few horses. He also cuts hay all around his area where people have stopped farming and sells the extra, good money in that with all the horse people who don't have enough land to raise hay, Many have to feed hay in the summer for lack of grazing land. Any way he called me last night and asked about me joining them Friday to hunt those hay fields. Said he has seen several coyotes working The different mowed field as he was taking the bales off. He seemed to think the coyotes are finding easy pickings on the field mice.
As I said sure is different animal with the tall grass and leaves on the short trees and shrubs.

:mrgreen: Al
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Summer coyote hunting.

Post by Coyotehunter »

the difference I see has more to do with the pups this time of year. april, may, june, july and august all have (as a general rule) unique coyote responses based on the age of the pups.