New to Coyote hunting

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

William1951TN
coyotehunter

New to Coyote hunting

Post by William1951TN »

I LIVE IN TENNESSEE AND NEW TO COYOTE HUNTING I AM RETIRED AND HAVE TIME TO LEARN AND HUNT IF J.C. DON'T HAVE OTHER PLANS I WILL TAKE ALL INFORMATION FROM YOU FOLKS THAT HAVE BEEN HUNTING THESE ANIMALS.I HUNT DEER IN SEASON AND WILD TURKEY IN SEASON IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET A COYOTE IN MY SIGHTS THE DEER AND TURKEY HUNTING IS OVER.ALL HELP WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: New to Coyote hunting

Post by Coyotehunter »

what do you have for gear and calls?
William1951TN
coyotehunter

Post by William1951TN »

I have plenty of camo ans a ICOTEC GC 500 and a ICOTEC AD400 decoy the places I hunt is farm land and the longest shot you will have is 100 yards or less.I am hunting with a Savage 17hmr rifle.I went this morning nothing but one of the things I think was wrong was changing the sounds on the caller.Next time I go I am going to stay with one call tone like rabbit in destress .That is hunting stuff I have for coyotes.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

how is the calling working out. i have no experience with the ICOTEC.
thaechten
coyotehunter

Post by thaechten »

Rabbit distress works well for coyotes/fox/bobcats. I don't have experience with ICOTEC, but I regularly use a Fox Pro game call. That coupled with a Outrigger Outdoors Red Eye predator hunting light and I've had pretty good success (I hunt at night mostly). Generally speaking, coyotes should come within 20 minutes in most cases. Depending on how much land you have to hunt, you may be able to do 15-20 minutes at each spot and keep moving along. If you don't have that much land to hunt, then I would wait as long as 45 minutes. I've waited an hour before I called in a coyote but in most cases they aren't around or aren't interested if it takes that long. Bobcats are another story though, I would recommend waiting 45 minutes minimum for bobcats. They move very slowly and require constant attention to keep them focused.

It may be beneficial to get you a decoy as well. I personally use mojo critter decoy and have had good success with it.