Hunting at night

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

xhunter911

Hunting at night

Post by xhunter911 »

My friend and I go hunting for coyotes every chance we get, but it's always seems to be at night because of our work schedule.
I can get a few to call back, but when I go directly to the rabbit distress call they never seem to come in to us! I am using an electronic caller for the distressed animals, and a knight and hale coyote howl'r. Now granted we don't have the amount of coyotes running free like you guys do out west, but we do have quite a few here and I've seen them! I have found several tracks, droppings and a few other signs to indicate to me that they are using this old gravel pit as a main road of travel. Does anyone have tips or tricks for evening hunting, when is best and when it's not? Should we hunt them during the day?
Any help will be appreciated, since we have had no luck so far this season.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Is it possible they are hearing your approach?
Coyotes Forever
xhunter911

Post by xhunter911 »

Im not sure whats going on, like I said I can get them to call back but they wont come in unless they are and I dont see them. Would I have beeter luck durring the day time hours?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Its real hard to give a guy some tips when you aren't there to witness it yourself. as jamie mentioned before they might be hearing you come into your stand. Are they seeing the truck? Are you sitting on top of the hill and silohueting (sp) yourself on the hill? Read up on some coyote vocalizations and it will take more than one reading too. Watch randy andersons mastering the art DVD and just try to figure out what those coyotes are saying to you. The more you know the coyote in general the better your reactions to what they are doing will become second nature. Good luck!
Last edited by lyonch on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
jdoverspike

Post by jdoverspike »

i have had good luck using a grey fox pup call in my electronic caller if you know there a yotes in the area try using that call i dont even howl i just put the tape in and let it run for about 15 minutes i shot 4 yotes using that call at night also a good call for red fox
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

To be honest, personally I have not found one answer for any of these questions. Its trail and error. No one has these coyotes figured out, you have to try till you succeed and when you fail, get back up till you succeed agian.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
xhunter911

Post by xhunter911 »

Thanks guys! I will have to keep trying and trying, like he said trial and error.
I enjoy coyote hunting a lot, I just wish we were more successful other than killing one on a deer drive.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

this coyote hunting is like a big endless puzzle and every time you put a piece together your numbers will go up. Like levi mentioned trial and error and do alot of reading and research :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Are they howling at your distress calls or your howling?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xhunter911

Post by xhunter911 »

Sorry for the delay, I have had them howl back at me, and how right after the distress call.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is the possibility that they have seen that song and dance before and know that it's not a good situation for them to be in.
xhunter911

Post by xhunter911 »

Funny because I never even heard of anyone even hunting yotes in my area before. There has never been a season until 2 years ago!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Well it would be rare i think people jump to quickly to call a coyote "call shy" but it is a possiblility
papapete
coyotehunter

Post by papapete »

When you say they are answering you, are they barking a lot with short howls or long drawn out howls? If there is a lot of barking with the short howls, that means your more than likely busted. They do that as a warning to other coyotes. Especially if they are doing it right after you do your distress.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 pm.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."