Mange

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Mange

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Just wondering what the mange situation is like up in North Dakota. From what I have seen this year in Central South Dakota, it is getting a lot better. Last year about half of what a person got was infected. My partner and I have shot 13 and only two had mange. What I have noticed is the ones that were infected were really bad. Otherwise the other ones were good with no early signs.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

mange

Post by Coyotehunter »

Jerry, I have been seeing at the 10 tournaments that I have run over the past 4 years we are holding right around 12%- 14% of the coyotes turned in have mange. This is a group of maybe 300 coyotes taken through out the state which I believe in the studies that I have read and from talking with Craig O'Gorman this past June I believe that figure is pretty close to the national average. I have heard of pockets through out the state that guys are seeing as many as half the coyotes they are calling in have mange. Last year I seen 3 that me and my partner called in that where pups all from the same litter that had mange. The area I have been working lately I have not seen any mange at all in the 6 times I have called that part of the state.
onecoyote

Post by onecoyote »

coyotehunter, I find that number ( 12 to 14% ) really interesting. I'd think the coyotes from your cold country would be less likly to get mange then there southern cousins. I always believed the mange mites liked hot moist weather. I guess it gets that way up north too?

I competed in contest for many many years and have seen thousands of dead coyotes, mostly from Arizona, California, Nevada and Mexico, very few had signs of sarcoptic or demodectic mange. I can't give you a percentage, but I'd be welling to bet it was not over 2 or 3%. By the way, I like your site :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Nebraska, South Dakota, Eastern Montana and all of North Dakota have areas with Mange. It first started showing up in our fox in the Northern Red River Valley in the early 90's. The wolves in Minnesota with a conservative estimate of 2500 of them running loose in the state has been hit hard with mange. I went to Trapper appreciation days at Sundrud Furs last fall and the DNR have a representive that will go over new laws and regulations. They answered some questions about mange as it applied to wolves they where saying that they had lost 200 - 300 wolves do to mange. I do not know how or where they got the figure but they do aerial counts on them in the winter, Anybody else have any info on mange and when you first started seeing it in the northwestern states. I have heard numbers as high as 50% in Nebraska.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Cronk

Post by Rich Cronk »

Coyote population is way down in my area because of mange. I hope to see the void filled with new and healthy coyotes before long.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Welcome aboard Rich it's nice to see people with your kind of knowledge posting!

I think mange has ran it's coarse in a lot of the state and is on it's way out just from the percentages i've seen last year and this year so far. However i have still ran into pockets where it was real bad!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The area I am living in now, Central Minnesota has mange it seems everywhere.