I'm new to calling coyotes

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lildog07

I'm new to calling coyotes

Post by lildog07 »

I'm new to calling coyotes. There is alot in our area. I bought a Primos Lil Dog call. I was wondering the best caliber and load to use and looking for calling tips. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Lildog07
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would probably start with a .22-.250 rem 55gr. Calling tips; find someone in your area who will take you out or at least pick up some videos and watch. There are lot's of great videos out there. Do you do any other type of hunting?
lildog07

Post by lildog07 »

Yes... I bowhunt whitetails, gun hunt mulies and whitetails, turkey hunt in the spring, goose duck and pheasant hunt in the fall. The greatest moment ever in my hunting life would be last year(my first year bowhunting) I shot a coyote out of my stand with my bow. Ever since I have been trying to get into coyote hunting more. It was the greatist feeling. I will post a picture.
lildog07

Post by lildog07 »

lildog07

Post by lildog07 »

Coyotehunter, I have a .243 and I found on the internet that i can buy 55 grain balistic tips. Would they be too destructive?
lildog07

Post by lildog07 »

I called one in this morning, he circled down wind and came up behind me and it was too late. I tried to turn around but he saw me and ran off. Awesome time.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

55 gr. out of a .243 will work fine.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I shot 57gr V-max bullets and I forget the powder and weight but could look it up out of my 243 and it went in and did'nt come out it was a great fur load.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

If you reload , I would go with 22-250 with 55gr. Spitzer soft point boatail #1365. Fur friendly and whops em pretty good. H-380 is a good powder and loaded to about 37 to 38grs. I use three guns with the .243 being my go to gun and long range. I use Varget powder loaded 41grs. with 70gr. Ballistic tips. It will reach out and touch em. Hornady ammunition is of good quality and a lot of people use it regardless of powder. That's an awful good looking coyote you shot with your bow. I shot one when antelope hunting with a bow one time. Nice picture.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have also been using H-380 for years in my .22-.250 and have shot the 55gr. with 39.5 gr of this ball powder. If you do find that you like the powder buy a bunch of it and work your loads up for that lot. H-380 is very inconsistant from Lot to Lot. You will have trouble finding a RQ rating for this powder because of this fact. I have moved to 52gr sierra BTHP witn 40.5 grains of H-380. Very flat load with minimal pelt damage at any distance.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:10 am.