Wooded and ammo

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

snickers

Wooded and ammo

Post by snickers »

I need to hunt coyotes in a heavily wooded environment at close range - 35 yards or less. Would a 22 LR, 40 grain, subsonic, kill the coyote or only pass through without much damage ? Would a 9mm round, 135 grain, subsonic, hollow point, kill ? Are tree stands or tall deer stands useful ?
220 Swift

Post by 220 Swift »

The only time I would use a 22 LR is if I was sure of a head shot. They just do not have enough knock down for any other type shot. 9mm would probably work ok. Never tried one for that so I do not know for sure. Tree stands work good but I think they need to be moved to different locations or they seem to quit coming to same area. I try not to call the same property over 2 maybe 3 times a year.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would think you would be fine out of a tree stand. As long as you are shooting the coyotes that are coming in I would not worry to much about over calling a spot. Especially early in the year, October and November. You will have a big dispersal/migration of predators coming up in the next month or so. The area that you are killing coyotes in will have new coyotes moving through from the dispersal of pups from other packs looking for their own territory. These new coyotes will be very curious about everything as they move into a new area. They will not have a clue you are sitting up in a tree. But if you call in some coyotes and screw it up and they bust you, well I would plan on finding a different location to call from next time. I would leave the 9mm and .22 rim fire for the tin cans and bring along one of the center fire .224 cal. for coyote hunting. there are a tough animal and you will be frustrated with the results from both the 9mm and the .22 LF. If you are calling in the woods get a 3 1/2" with extra full choke pushing #2 Hevi-shot. Now that will anchor those coyotes.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I agree try to go with something in a shotgun for that range and terrain

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:12 am.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!