Bullet question for y'all

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wstnodak

Bullet question for y'all

Post by wstnodak »

I just got tikka t3 22-250 varmint and put a 4.5X14 40mm leupold varmint scope on it. Now here is the problem....as you can see I spent quite a bit on the set up and don't want to ruin the accuracy shooting the wrong bullet. I don't reload so I was wondering if you guys have any advice on what to get.

I would like to buy in bulk but that may not be possible? Also, hollow point or not?

All of my big game rifles have a specific recipe for the bullets I shoot in them but I plan on going through a lot of shells with this gun and would rather not deal with reloading.

Thanks for any help
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well for a factory load I would stick with Federal Premium. You will have to find a bullet weight that your gun likes but I would start with something in the 52gr to 55gr BTHP profile. I would get the gun bedded and floated before trying to find the best bullet weight and it would not hurt to have the trigger turned down a notch or two. this is all fairly inexpensive but can have significant results with some guns.
wstnodak

Post by wstnodak »

thanks coyotehunter,

Great info!

Bedded and floated? I'm not sure if I know what that is? Also I wanted to get the trigger turned down but was not sure if I could do this myself...I'll have to check it out.

thanks again
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Bedding is when you use a composite material to incase your action and recoil lug with-in your stock. Done correctly this will eleminate pressure points on the action do to moisture and temperature. Floating the barrel will allow your barrel to move freely in the stock so the stock, due to temperature and moisture changes, does not effect the harmonics of the barrel. Bedding keeps the action from moving and floating allows the barrel to move. I would not adjust the trigger yourself if you have not been shown how to do it correctly. If you set the trigger to light or lighter than what the manufacture would recomend may lead to premature firing of the gun. Which of course would be very bad. :o)
wstnodak

Post by wstnodak »

I think my barrel is already floated? I can slip a piece of paper underneath the barrel back along the stock. where would a guy go to get the gun bedded?

thanks again and sorry if I'm asking too many questions.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you should be able to find a gun smith in your area through the phone book.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:23 am.