Scope with Parallax Adjustment?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

Re: Scope with Parallax Adjustment?

Post by Pilgrim »

I don't see much daylight to dink around outside of work hours but was finally able to experience what an AO (adjustable objective) scope is all about. Was able to handle a Nikon, Burris, Weaver, Leupold. Came down to 3 things for me:

1)Most of the AO variations weigh about 4 to 5 oz more (all 4-12x, 4-16x) or than what I'm used to, a negative- but doable. For deer & bigger game stuff I'd never consider.

2) Didn't really have an issue with lens adjustment on the objective bell as I thought I would. More "like walking and chewing gum" (Tyrant) that I expected. Actually prefer the bell objective adjustment to Nikon's centered turret AO location.

3) One thing there's no doubt about is that any parallax disappears right then and there when matching the distance setting. Definately makes sense why they make them.

Summary: Heavier than expected. Easier to use than expected. The elimination of parallax very obvious/much more evident than expected.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Pilgrim wrote:3) One thing there's no doubt about is that any parallax disappears right then and there when matching the distance setting. Definately makes sense why they make them.
I will have to disagree with you when you say it disappears. Most of the indicators aren't as accurate as one would hope. When i have more time i will tell you how i look for parralax in a scope. I have yet to find a scope that doesn't have sometype of parrallax unless you go to a red dot scope.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great subject. a scope with parallax issues can make it impossible to shoot you rifle accurately at any distance.