Scope with Parallax Adjustment?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pilgrim

Scope with Parallax Adjustment?

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm thinking about selling a Leupold VXII 3-9 and looking at a Nikon Monarch, Burris Fullfield II, or Weaver Classic V in 4x-16X with adjustable Parallax.

I've never owned anything greater than 10X. Is the adjustment easy to manage or too much fumbling around?
Tyrant

Re: Scope with Parallax Adjustment?

Post by Tyrant »

You will miss the Leupy. And that is not a guess.

Paralax is easy, like walking and chewing gum....
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I personally would stay away from the parralax adjustment scopes!!! i have one and hate it!! There is parralax in every scope no matter what it's just more obvious in some than others. When i have a coyote that comes into the call and hangs up at 300 i might be able to adjust the parralax knob and squeeze off but wait right after i dialed it here he comes running and then i dont have time to readjust!! If you want one over 10 power go to leupold and you can get one up to 12 power with no parralax knob to adjust.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks for the responses. My fear is both remorse and having to adjust for sudden changes or surprises.

Question: Considering 90% of everthing is killed within 250 yard and a hunter keeps the scope setting at 4-6X without intending to adjust no matter how far the shot, is there still adjustment needed?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I wish i could draw a picture of this but i will try my best to explain. If you were to draw a line from the top of your eye to the base of the coyotes foot and then draw a line from the bottom of your eye to the top of the coyotes ears, and look at that from a side view you will see that it makes an "X". as the distance changes the size of the animal changes and so does the point where the lines meet and make the "X". Since the lines cross at different spots for all distances that is what parallax is. When you go to a stronger power of scope; the parralax is the most noticed and intesified. I explained a worst case scenario obviously but it is not noticed as much with a fixed power scope. Parallax isn't noticed within i would say 300 yards (which most calling scenarios are within 300). When you start shooting around that 400 to 500 range you will notice it a lot more. I know at the range if i were to take my scope and leave it at 5.5 and shoot at 200 yards for a group and then crank it up to 16.5 with out adjusting the parallax knob my groups are in different locations. So the answer to your questions is NO. Personally i would not adjust the knob for a shot 300 and in. just leave it be and pull trigger. I leave my scope at the lowest power and never touch it. i have been thinking about switching my scope from the my 30-06 to me .22-250 to see if the parralax issue improves. I hope this helped. If anyone else has something to add or clarify please do so.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I had a nikon with an adjustable parallax for a couple of years, and I am happy I got rid of it. Every time I adjusted it my scope was off. I now own a leuopold 4x12, and its nice having confidence that the scope is on, and any miss shots is my fault.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have two adjustable objective Leupolds, one is a VX 3lr in 4.5x14 and the other is a VX 2 in 6x18 and if I were to do it all over again I would not have that feature on them.

I kinda agree with Lyonch about the adjustment thing but if the coyote hangs up, he is generally looking right at where the noise is coming from(you) and has good enough vision to catch you moving as you try to adjust the paralax for that 300 yard shot. When/if that happens, he will probably not come any closer and maybe even turn to leave and now you have a spooked and moving coyote which is certainly worse that a 300 yard standing coyote to me. Just kinda the way I have had it play out for me before(getting caught turning the scope power up also).

IMHO, parallax adjustment is for the bench and the super-long shot type stuff which most guys cant hit anyway(me at least) and not worth the headache for shots that when, calling are often inside of 200 yards but then again, this is just my opinion.

Good luck,

Jaybic
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Chris's parallex description makes sense and jaybic's response plays into my concern, thanks both. Seems common sense favors keeping the 3-9X. I can handle leaving an AO scope at a low X setting if that's doable but I'll need to go look at a real one to get a better idea of what you guys already understand.

Levi, what's your 4-12X Leupold model? Any I've seen have AO adjustment. If over $350 I probabably didn't dare look into it.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I'm sure levi's scope is a vari x-II 4-12x50 with a LR reticle in it. It sells for 400-450 if you look on ebay or some other online optic stores. If you get lucky you might find one for 350!! Im looking at getting that same as his only with a few minor adjustments to it, like putting a target turret on it from leupold and if i feel like it but im sure i will never touch is the windage knob, and a different reticle either a milli dot or the same old crosshair!! Either way its a sweet scope and clear as hell
Chris Lyon

xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

One thing to look at when buying a parallax adjustment scope is if it is a front or side adjustment. You'll like the side, it is much easier than fiddling around with the objective part of the scope. It's less movement as well. I have a 4.5-14x50 Leupold Mark 4 on my coyote rig with side adjustment, I leave it at 14 unless i know i'm in for a close shot. I typically don't mess with the parallax on my scope once i've sighted it in at 100 unless it calls for a long shot.

The one thing on a coyote rig or any rig that should cost you the most money, even more than the rifle itself is the scope. You can't hit what you can't see. so spend as much money you can on glass. When I was looking at scopes, I was told by a really wise person was, "buy once, cry once". The meaning behind this, if you buy a cheap scope today, and buy a better scope two years from now, you'd be a head by buying the one you want now and be done with it.

Do your homework on the scope you want to buy. There are some good scopes out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch wrote:I'm sure levi's scope is a vari x-II 4-12x50 with a LR reticle in it. It sells for 400-450 if you look on ebay or some other online optic stores. If you get lucky you might find one for 350!! Im looking at getting that same as his only with a few minor adjustments to it, like putting a target turret on it from leupold and if i feel like it but im sure i will never touch is the windage knob, and a different reticle either a milli dot or the same old crosshair!! Either way its a sweet scope and clear as hell
yep Vx-II LR reticle! Great scope! In my opinon, coyote hunting is an expensive sport, A scope isn't were you want to cut your costs! I learned that a few times! A great scope can give you all the confindence in the world, and thats half the battle with longer shots. Once you loose confidence in your gear, you might as well close your eyes and shoot
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

All my scopes have Parallax Adjustment, i just set them on max and go hunting, no big deal...
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks X, Levi, Tim. Went the other night to look at the Nikon, Burris Fullfield, & Leupold stuff. Checked out Levi's scope and another with a 40mm bell- both nice! Difficult to figure out some of the Nikon & Burris PA features in the store since the view was limited to 200 feet or so, but I think I can see Tim A's point. One thing I gained should I decide to go with higher magnification is that a plain vanilla fine crosshair appeals to me as some of the modern reticles are pretty beefy.

Then the fellow helping me drops the Leupold 4 feet to the tile floor, bounces... puts it back in the showcase like nothing happened.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Pilgrim wrote:Then the fellow helping me drops the Leupold 4 feet to the tile floor, bounces... puts it back in the showcase like nothing happened.
What??? :roll: I would hate to get that scope now!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I am looking at a new scope and really like leupolds stuff!!! I am giving my nikon one more season and after that i think it will be time to hang it up and go to a leupold!!
Chris Lyon