Fox numbers?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Fox numbers?

Post by Fallguy »

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the fox numbers, especially in ND? Are they coming back from mange? Or will it be hard for them to rebound with the coyote numbers? Myself I have seen 4 fox in the past year and all looked to be in good shape. I shot one of the 4 that I saw and it was really nice. It would be nice to see more fox around in the future.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I think they are making a strong come back from the mange however i don't think we will ever see the numbers like there used to be just because of the coyotes moving into the old fox territory.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would think the Fox population would be fairly dependent and the local ground nesting bird population as well as the rodents. I would have to say that with all the CRP in the Valley we would see a increase in the grouse, ducks, rodents and even pheasant populations. I know I have seen alot more sharpies in the past few years than I even did growing up there and hunting every weekend. They have a real bad Mange problem in Minnesota right now. I have taken 2 coyotes and 3 fox in minnesota so far this year and only 2 of the fox did not have mange. Both coyotes and the other fox had it bad. The DNR have said that it is a real problem with the wolves through out the state.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just talked with Pat over at Sundrud Furs and they have not been seeing many fox come in at all so for this year. The general concensus is that there are none around. He talkes whith trappers all day every day and trappers in Minnesota are having a tough time this year picking them up.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I actually have seen some fox around the Fargo area. I am just waiting for some snow cover on the ground before I try to get a few. I think last year we ended up shooting 9 of them
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

spot and stalk or calling?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I do both, I perfer to spot and stalk when they are laying out in the sun.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not get many oppurtunities for spot and stalk any more living back in the woods.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Ya Fargo is so bare and flat you can see for miles. Once you get a good snow covering on the ground, the fox really stick out when they are laying around
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I really miss the good ol days of spot and stalk fox hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The last time we went out we did end up shooting one but it was all day of glassing and driving to find that one fox sleeping up on a drift. Great stalk, ended up shooting him at about 40-50 yards right in is bed. I just remember going out with my brother in 97'and seeing a half dozen in one section. I did not see a half dozen red fox in North Dakota all last winter.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

well if you guys are around the fargo area bring the rifles and take a few back roads you might catch one sleeping. I really hope someday the fox numbers increase through out the state, but with the coyote numbers on the increase I don't see it happing.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"