FUNNY story

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rorycoyote
coyotehunter

FUNNY story

Post by rorycoyote »

on sunday i was out checking the few snares i had out and when got done decided i would try to do a little calling :D . i was drivin the two tracks in the fresh 4-6in of snow. i came across a pair of coyotes and i figured the tracks to of been made that morning. i followed the tracks about 3/4 of a mile (i know because they paralled the road). i found a good spot and decided to call. i made the stand with my pup lizzy i got from dustyc last summer, i think she is about 7 months and doesnt have much experience. well i made a couple of lone howls then sat and watched. lizzy traveled around out to about thirty yds like she normally does. then here came the pair of coyotes. they were probably about 200 yds and comin in when she noticed them. the two started circling around then stopped to see what the dark colored dog was doing. she growled a little then began to back away. i then shot the shy yote in the back figuring it would be a female then missed the lead dog that was hauling a$$ up the draw. i got to lookin around to find my pup then i seen her about fifty yds away hiding in a dry water tank :lol: :lol: . i guess she figured the tank would save her from the two coyotes. the yote i got turned out to be a young male
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: FUNNY story

Post by Tbush »

is she gun broke properly and not broke by the gun???
a proud member of the "IF" team
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

the gun dont bother her. i think it was the TWO coyotes. last time she seen one comin in at about 60 yds she got excited and jumped in my lap and i could hardly shoot. she just needs more experience.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Cool story Rory!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Did you buy the dog for coyote work?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

yeah i did get her for coyotes. i know i shouldnt be using dogs in the winter but i am trying to keep her interested in coyotes. if i had traps out i wouldnt use her but i figure i need to get her out a little bit.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You need to get her in a controlled enviorment with a coyote ASAP or you are going to have a glorified house dog on your hands. I"m not trying to be a prick i'm just telling you what i've seen with trying to find good dogs and if she is that timid with coyotes that are that far away she is going down hill. Go check a trap line with Dusty and let her be around a couple other dogs that are showing aggression and see if she picks up on it. You are hitting a time that is make or break with coyote dogs and a lot of time and attention is needed
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

yeah i know what you are saying. hopefully i can get her on more coyotes and make her into something that will do more then tear into a chocolate cake.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

she needs a buddy. mine only get better when they have help. both of my youngest dogs where fighting coyotes on stand one on one at that age. I went through a few dogs before I got to that point, its tough to find a dog that can make the cut. I work a lot with dead coyotes, and skinned coyotes tied to a bungee cord hanging from a tree. the dead ones don't fight much and they get the smell in their nose and associate it with fun. short training sessions often. great story. Just my 2 cents.
Coyotes Forever
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

thanks for the info coyotehunter. i got her a buddy now, he's about 5 months i think. i have trained them some with a dead coyote, but not enough. the adc guy that is in big horn county told me to work them with the coons we catch and train hounds with to get them more agressive. he also told me he would take me with him later this year so i can learn what i should be doing with the dogs.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That should be a real good way to learn how to work with them.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

watch your dogs with the coon. I agree 100% that they are a great learning tool but I have never seen a bite that will get infected faster than a coon bite. dirty little buggers!
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I agree with coyotehunter get the dog on them by all means just make sure you're not doing it so much that you can't let the dog heal up a little bit they got a lot of nasty shit going on in their mouths
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:watch your dogs with the coon. I agree 100% that they are a great learning tool but I have never seen a bite that will get infected faster than a coon bite. dirty little buggers!
Exactly, My Fur buyer had one of his dogs bite by a coon last season, I thought the dogs face was going to fall of from all the infection.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"