Training

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Training

Post by Coyotehunter »

Do you have any training quetions?
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Training

Post by lyonch »

I have to say that i really think we have the right man on the subject watching this area :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

I have read a bit on this site about using decoy dogs, and was wondering what is involved/how to train a good decoy dog. I will start by saying I'm not sure we have the right type of dogs for this work, or that we have the time to do it properly. However, it is something that interests me, and I need to start my research somewhere.
Thanks in advance.
Craig
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

mainly for spring and summer work. is that what you had in mind?
Coyotes Forever
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Yes. We live in the snow belt, so winter work is pretty limited for our dogs. I would be able to do more in the late spring and summer... I also farm and work in the inputs business, so early spring is nuts. Late spring, summer, early fall are all possibilites.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I would like to get a dog again. Would a lab work? I told my wife that I would like a Chessie for duck hunting but if I could get one that could do both I would like to know.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well, there is probably more to this then you are invisioning. Not going to work that well in the fall and really very effective for adult pairs but will in my opinion screw up more stands than it is worth if you are jut out trying to get any old coyote killed. I use mine for denning and decoying pairs on dens. if you just want to kill a coyote go grab a call and start making some noise. The decoy dogs is very specific. At least if you want it to remain a viable tool in a controled area. you can make coyotes dog shy if you go in and have a dog that runs the coyote all over gods green earth. The dogs we use are bred for this. Dorn, curs, terriers, some herd dogs....leave your labs and pointers at home :)
Coyotes Forever
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

We have cur dogs, the oldest one is a bit catchy. I don't think he would work well. In order to start a good decoy dog they would need to be out hunting several times a week during the spring and summer in areas you know the 'yotes are denning? Or would it need to be every day when getting the dog started? Thanks again for your help.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you have mature dogs that are already hunters i would try getting a den located in mid june to mid july and get as close with your dog as possible and then start howling. you will find out in a hurry if the dog is going to like it or be good at it. Be sure to keep an eye on your dog they can get pretty chewed up if they don't know the game yet and you can't protect them. (open area) The more you work them the better the dog will be plain and simple just try to get it out as much as humanly possible and see what the dog does.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Thanks Prairie Ghost. We will likely be giving that a try this summer, if we have any success I'll post some pics.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You want a dog that is not to aggressive to the point that they want to stay out there, chase and fight. engage and retreat is what I like to see. mine will pick a fight then start to pull them back. if they lose interest or start to leave he will go and engage them again. them start to pull them to me. He is not afraid of them but he is not trying to kill them either. You need a balance.
Coyotes Forever
turbivic
coyotehunter

Post by turbivic »

Just bought a full blood blackmouth cur from tony tebe. he is training him for me and will be available for pickup in june cant wait!
2nd Annual Scremain' Demon Classic
Jan 20, 21, & 22, 2012
LUDLOW, SD
PM for more Info
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good luck.. I believe he trains kill dogs not decoy dogs.. It should work good on a trap line though...
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Does nobody out here use HOUNDS?!?!?! We love our blueticks!! :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

As far as training (conditioning) a dog to do something specific a dog is a dog.. A hound could work if its not to big in size, and tuff headed.. Some hounds or breeds rely mostly on there nose and won't move around with out it close to the ground and these won't work very well for decoying (always chaseing a scent).. As for temperment some can be toned down some and others you won't be able to do anything about it...
If its all you got like mentioned prior all you can do is try the dog and either its going to catch on or it is'nt..

rodeorulz I have a Redbone hound I picked up a few weeks ago but will use it for tracking and chaseing coyotes and depending on temp. I may take it along on a few calling stands.. Will have to see how she works out..