Dog Boxes

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Dog Boxes

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Terry or anyone else can you steer me in the right direction on dog boxes? I have had wood ones and am just sick of repairing chewed holes and such. I have talked to a few guys and i like the aluminum boxes but can't find much for less than $600 and that is not something i want to spend right now. If anyone has any suggestions or has someone that custom builds them for cheaper let me know. I have done the searchs on the internet and there is a billion of them to choose from but all pretty pricey. I like the aluminum but would certainly consider a different material if it was cheaper and worked well.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Dog Boxes

Post by Tim Anderson »

One of the stores in a bigger town close by has a single aluminum box for around 300.00 and more depending on how many compatments you want or if you need storage on top, they have one with double boxes and a tool chest on top.. The difference between these and others i've looked at is the thickness of matereal...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I was looking at the ones with two compartments or one big compartment (needs to hold two dogs) and the storage on top but they wanted $500-$1400 a piece. The single dog units just won't cut for what i need
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I have a friend that owns a fabrication shop. He is working on my box right now. It will cost about 380 after powder coating and eveything else. If you are interested, send me a pm and I can put you in touch with him.
"God hates a coward"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

PG sorry I missed this post....spend the money and you'll never need another. Alum. is ok but gets beat up over time and the dust that comes over time (oxidation sp??) can be harmful to dogs "toxic" :( stainless are great as are poly type, get an insulated one as it keeps them cool in the heat ..here are some manufactures, jones, crow river and my chioce k-9 coach..I attached a couple pix of my old trailer my new one is a bigger 8 hole :D :D
Attachments
sport show pic 057edit.jpg
sport show pic 057edit.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 15323 times
sport show pic 054edit.jpg
sport show pic 054edit.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 15319 times
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thanks guys i decided on a deer creek dog box in diamond tread aluminum
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Tbush,
That is awesome! My wife has been bugging me for over a year to get one for the back of the truck, she saw the picture of your rig and started making plans. :lol: I would rather get the 4-wheeler first and then the K9 coach, but I'll have to try and keep the boss happy :mrgreen:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Finally got it! I will keep you guys informed on the pros and cons of the box i went with (size, compartments, material, ect)

Deer Creek was a pleasure to deal with i would recommend them to all of you.
Attachments
DSCF2227 (Small).JPG
DSCF2227 (Small).JPG (60.99 KiB) Viewed 15156 times
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

That looks an awful lot shinier than the used one we just picked up! We may need something more like what Tbush has in the not too distant future, but this one will do the trick until that time comes.

It's a bit tight putting two dogs on each side, but it's doable and having the locking storage on top was a huge plus for us. It's built with an aluminum frame and and the walls are 3/4" plywood. It isn't insulated, but we can put straw in and close it up tight in the cold weather.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I like how your doors open to the middle with the latchs on the outside. I do get a little sick of reaching all the way to the middle to let the dogs out.
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

It's alright... we have a small truck (Chevy Colorado) so it isn't too bad reaching in. It is fine as long as you don't have them both open at once and they're banging into each other and getting in the way.