Hunting at night??

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

SpringVallyFarms
coyotehunter

Hunting at night??

Post by SpringVallyFarms »

Well first off im new to the forums...hello to all! Well i wrote a big msg on here last night, went to post it and nothing, and it alllllll got erased, so gonna get right to point this time. I hunt everything but predators(untill now).. Iv been going right before dark, or after dark. Live all around farm land, woods and open fields.... Iv had one fox come in by double callin,abt 80 yards, seemed i rushed a shot(missed). Wanted to see who else hunts at night? Is one time better than another?? I have been useing electronic destress and mouth destress, last night just mouth... I sit for abt 45 mins and move onto another field, i feel like im doing something wrong?? Callin to much? Shining red light to much? I go 3-4 times a week, sometimes dif spots. Im very good at all other hunting, its bothering me b i feel im hurting the hunt more than helping.... Imput please!!! Thanks everyone! Useing a 220 swift, prolly lil big for fox!
SpringVallyFarms
coyotehunter

Re: Hunting at night??

Post by SpringVallyFarms »

Someones gotta know something? This is a forum right? Ha
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

your calling Red Fox right? Do you know for sure you have red fox in these areas? what type of daytime scouting are you doing. You do not have to sit so long for fox, they have fairly small territories. 15-20 minutes and I would be moving on. how many spots per night are you calling?
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

what state are you from? This might help a lot as well in answering your questions.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Heat seeker 1
coyotehunter

Post by Heat seeker 1 »

I hunt at night in ga almost exclusively. My experience in 20 years of hunting fox, bobcats, and fox is that no moon and dark nights are best for fox and bobcats. 80% or better of the fox will respond within 5-10 minutes so if they are you're target species I would cut my stands time in half. Bobcats take longer. The 80% number is based on scientific studies from hunters who have called and killed more predators at night than everyone in the World Wide Web combined. I believe that. This is my first official post on any forum btw.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

In my experience it varies a bit depending on terrain and animal densities. A red fox can have a core home range of about 1 sq. mile and a overall range of approximately 5 sq. miles.