The World is NOT Round.

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

Dcoy
Top Dog

The World is NOT Round.

Post by Dcoy »

Ladies and Gentllemen,and most of you that frequent this place also,I'm sure in grade school you heard the story about how in Columbus's time people such as Queen Isabela who provided Chris with his Lunds thought the earth was flat and that if you went far enough you could 'fall off'.Then of course your teachers,NASA,and the Al Gores of the world showed you pics and 'proved' in a number of ways it was round.WRONG!Totally WRONG!!!Chris and Isy were right,its FLAT and I've been there.I almost 'fell off'.
Maybe it was the guide I had but I was there yesterday and its FLAT.Got to go try kill a yote for a few hours but more to follow.
Oh,and if I forget,please remind me to address 'range estimation' and 'Range Finders'-or maybe more appropriately,'Open Range Not Finders'when I return. :shock:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: The World is NOT Round.

Post by Dcoy »

Well yesterday I hired some guy named 'Bucs' something to get my craving for a fox satisfied and while it took an excessive amount of time(I'm guessing about an hour)and $$(i bought the gas),by golly he did it.See attached pic.
Now back to Columbus,Queen Isy and my now firm belief the world is indeed flat.We left his house in the dark yesterday morning.We traveled til dark last night and I swear the elevation didn't change by ONE inch the entire day.In fact,looking around the entire compass,the entire day,I never saw ONE inch of elevation change unless man made-most often a dike to prevent a home from flooding.Nope,the world is flat.Fact.
Hunting in that terrain?One word=tough.Thank god my guide was up to it.And,by the way,travel on the roads we did requires skill and the right vehicle.When I jumped in his lil red Blazer I thought to myself,no way we aren't spending most of the day shoveling this lil thing out.Ha.It went/goes near anywhere-through stuff there's no way my oversized tired Toyota would go.In fact at one point I had snowshoed one mile to get to a drainage ditch we hoped 4 coyotes might run to.4 or 5 decades ago I might have got there in time but they got through ahead of me and now I'm glassing around trying to decide which way to exit knowing full well the minimum likely wasted time walk would be a mile.Then I heard or sensed something and turned to see the lil red vehicle bouncing through drifts on a partially windswept plowed field.Yeh!!!Way to go Bucs and while he didn't get all the way to me,and while the return ride out was hard on an old mans ass and nerves,it saved me work and us time.What a rig!!!
All in all quite a learning experience.I do have to add something for those that think range estimation is just a matter of point and click nowadays.I don't want to get into 'BC','long range/Best of The West'coyote shooting and such TV and internet babble,and certainly not my earlier diatribes about how easy it is to be off 25-100 yds and therefore miss the critter-or worse-in varied terrain,but if you think you have the latest and greatest in range finders(which I think I do)you are in for a real education in that country.Way over 50% of the time you'll get no reading on a critter at all and the other 50% you'll HOPE you are close based on ranging some other object you are GUESSING is close or of a similar distance.At least not with anything available to the general public-and most military stuff would fail in that country as well IMO.Of course if you are using the latest and greatest the military has in GPS/Ranging you could be OK anyway cause a 2000 lb JDAM would likely cover enough area to get Mr Fox but a mere sniper would only be engaging in educated guesswork.
And I mean guesswork cause more than once I estimated a vehicle in the distance was one mile away-only to be told,'no that road is 2-or in one case,3 miles away.Even the greatest internet shooter is going to miss if his estimation is a mile off.
Seriously though,a great time was had and it would be hard to find(likely impossible)anyone that knows more about fox hunting than Bucs.Thanks Bud!!!!
Attachments
fox 2.JPG
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

that area looks familiar!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
Could be,but don't ask me.While I was told we went about 60 miles north/south.We might have just gone around the same 4 sections all day.I never noticed a bit of difference. :shock:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dcoy wrote:Levi,
Could be,but don't ask me.While I was told we went about 60 miles north/south.We might have just gone around the same 4 sections all day.I never noticed a bit of difference. :shock:
You probably just drove circles all day around my house shooting my fox!!!! LOLOLOLOL :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nope, we wer'nt within 25 miles of your place. few peoplehunt where we went yesteday as Dcoy wll surley attest. my tire tracks from a week and a half ago were the only ones down lot of the same roads we were on yesterday. its a rude awakenng for someone who's used to hunting hill's/cover. yep, the little blazer works out well :mrgreen: glad you got (somewhat) of a craving outta your system :lol: .hell of a shot too :D . had a great time and i have a feeling you'll be back again :wink: . went out for a coupla hoursafter work today. seen 2 fox, got 1. i won't even say how far it was :roll: and a full out run besides after i missed it at about 80 sleeping :shock: :? p.s, Dcoy ai'nt near as crabby as he comes on as over the net,real nice fellow :D 8) . glad you had a good time...come again :wink:.oh yeah, he ai'nt near as blind as he makes out either :P
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Just think how I'll shoot when the new right eye gets here in a few days.Heck,I may start shooting right handed again. :D
AND Bucs,notice I never mentioned those big bucks(antlered kind,not $$)you showed me.Nope,I won't mention those at all.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

That was a GREAT read guys..... thanks.... I wish I could get out and hunt fox specifically some time!!
If its good enough; Better is achievable
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

this storm is going to shut down coyote hunting here for the year.they have already addapted to hang out in the few big sections we have here and with the small roads that will be plugged till spring, they will mostly be safe for the rest of the year. fox on the other hand will still be accesible as they tend to stay away from the coyotes and should still be able to spot/stalk them from main roads. .just went out to shovel a piss path for the dogs :shock: . had to remove storm door glass to crawl out :shock: critters are gonna be in trouble this winter :(
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Holy Crap Bucs!!!! Well the way you have been stacking'em up, now there will ne some left for next year, maybe.... Hope the snow lets up soon enough for you to dig out and get to the classic :wink: If you don't make the classic, I will still buy you in the calcutta then will be even...... :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucs is all this new snow depressing you like is me?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

LeviM wrote:bucs is all this new snow depressing you like is me?
prolly more so. !!!!!!. all work i have is outside stuff. spose to start building a garage on monday :shock: however, it is out in the country :wink:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

You guys in Fargo have kid stuff. :D We have no travel,horrible amounts of snow,gusts to 50 last nite and they say its just starting for us.Heck we lose power about every other hour(caused a 'double post' or 2 here already).I won't get us out of this for days and no sense in even trying for a day or 2. :(
Bucs,please send the lil Red Blazer so I can start trying to pull my tractor out. :shock:
Wife says 'thats it,we're moving back to civilization'.(nope :D )
Don't you wish you were already buried and had this to look forward to?Levi you'd be very happy!Our wildlife is screwed-except for yotes who will have plenty to eat.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1&map.y=83
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i don't think i could get the Blazer out of the driveway now :shock:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sounds like a great time guys. Dick nice to see you out doing the things you want and BNB maybe i will make a trip back to relive the old days of spot and stalk "flatlander style"
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!