ND guys.....seeing more fox??

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

barebackjack
coyotehunter

ND guys.....seeing more fox??

Post by barebackjack »

Anybody seeing more fox this year?

Ive got three now, and my old mans got over 20. Havent seen but a few combined over the last five years, now this year, they're popping up.

I'd get flamed for this on another site, but seeing fewer coyotes too, and more mangy coyotes. Hmmmmmm????
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: ND guys.....seeing more fox??

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Seems odd that there is more mangy coyotes than usuall but also more fox? Usually if mange starts in on an area the fox are first to go. I would certainly like to see some more of those little buggers around to call and my faviorat for fox..spot and stalk. Keep us posted on what you turn up with between you and your old man for the year.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep the mange really plays hell on those fox..
Seeing an increase on both fox and coyotes here as well..
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Well, im not surprised to see an increase in mange on coyotes. Ive been expecting it to start showing up in a more widespread fashion for the last few years with the high deer/coyote population.

But I AM surprised with the fox showing up.

Im also not surprised to see evidence that coyote numbers are somewhat down over last year. Our deer herd has been and is crashing hard after the record numbers of 2007/2008, so I was expecting coyote numbers to follow suit, just didnt think it would happen so fast (and not that low deer/fawn numbers are the cause anyway, more likely a combination of less CRP acreage, mange, and lower prey population.....deer/fawns).

Either fox are just simply making a small comeback due to lower coyote numbers, or fox are figuring out how to live in coyote country.

My old man caught a few fox last year, and this year has, what in this day and age one could call a bunch (of course it takes a buttload of fox to impress him as he used to take several hundred a month). The fox I took today is the ONLY one ive ever seen in this area (never even seen a track) and is in heavy coyote country.

Go figure. But ill take it! Fox are fun.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The coyotes and fox both are up in my area this year in MN. The couple calling trips i have been on resulted in one sighting of a fox in a road ditch. I know last season Levi and I called in several fox while hunting out in Montana is some really dense coyote populations :shock: I think your thought process is on the right path BBJ.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Definitely more fox in NE Sodak.Ditto on a couple areas I frequent in NoDak.A dam good thing IMO.