Fox Hunting Pics

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Re: Fox Hunting Pics

Post by 1Shooter »

It shoots about 1/4"-1/2" groups if I do my part. Learned from silverdog how to use the "cheap-man's bore sight" and he showed me some decent hunting areas for today. My first stand I actually walked in on another guy calling with a Foxpro just over the other edge of the hill I was on. I should have stayed and tried to reap the benefits :P
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

1Shooter wrote:It shoots about 1/4"-1/2" groups if I do my part. Learned from silverdog how to use the "cheap-man's bore sight" and he showed me some decent hunting areas for today. My first stand I actually walked in on another guy calling with a Foxpro just over the other edge of the hill I was on. I should have stayed and tried to reap the benefits :P
was it Jaybic :lol: :lol i wish we were in central nodak right now :(
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Haha I don't know if it was or not, not sure where he's from...Jaybic, you live around Brookings,SD? Yeah, it would have been fun to hunt the tournament. Maybe some other time. The scope came with the gun, already mounted on it, but not as a factory package deal. Don't know what kind of rings and bases are on it, there's no name on them. Might change them to the weaver rings and bases snareit sent if they'll work with this scope. silverdog and I leveled the scope last night and sighted it in. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture? I'll have to take a look at it when I get back to my house.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good deal its will pick up from here with first blood out of the way!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Ouch, yah, thats why I quit shooting them with a 22-250, no matter which bullet I used , half would be a 2 hr sew job. I shot 78 with my .223 one winter before the mange hit 19 yrs ago. I used Sierra 55gr, fmjbt, usually a pencil hole if broadside.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tac 20 what state are you from?
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Iowa, but trying to move to WY.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Coyotehunter wrote:they are protected in wyoming. many of the western states allow you to shoot and trap them with 8-10 dollar averages. they cause no lovestock damage and I find lots of there dens. probably 15 or so dens last spring. fun to watch.
Are you sure the Swift Fox is protected in Wyoming?? I can't find anything that says they are protected, just that conservation efforts try to keep them alive, so to speak. I have found that they were removed from candidate status under the ESA. Seems that Canada considers them endangered though.
I have nothing wrong with them, but I was curious as to whether they are protected or not...which last I knew they were not...

Anyways...just curious how sure you were on this statement.
Thanks!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

everything i have heard is that they are threatened species in wyoming with a $300 fine for killing one. i have heard them refered to kit fox and swift fox. i have not looked it up though......just what the local game and fish has told me.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Interesting...thanks for the info!
Maybe this has changed in recent years?
Glad to see you back on here! :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

My understanding is that if you snare one or trap one and it's unethical to release him due to injury you can keep the hide. In other words and incidental catch. However you can not intentionally take one calling one in for instance you are not allowed to shoot it.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Yah I FINALLY found some info online...http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments ... 000533.pdf Looks like the pdf is from 2010.
It says "protected from take".
I'm sure PG though you are right in that if it is accidental catch and the animal is injured then it is ethical to kill it then.
Thanks for helping clarify this guys :)
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Not sure how they handle a protected animal in a non-targeted catch in Wyoming but here you have to contact the DNR if and when it happens so it canbe documented and permission giveen as far as what you can or cannot do with it. Most cases here the animal or just the hide is taken by the DNR, you can't keep it, and if they have you skin it out then they will pay you a pelting fee...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks. the guy I know that got a ticket here was shinning and shot it.
Niro
coyotehunter

Post by Niro »

first predator to come into the call! howa 1500 22-250