Calling Fox

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Calling Fox

Post by Coyotehunter »

Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox Calling.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Calling Fox

Post by Dcoy »

Get close.Mouse squeak.Never saw it scare one but most often brings them in.For our group,rabbit distress was just so-so except at night.Worked then.I'd set up to make sure a fox can approach using cover.They don't have the 'balls'a coyote does.(or are more cautious is probably a better way to put it)
On the other hand,we were(are)primarily 'walkers' and 'spot/stalkers' on fox so can't speak on 'calling'based on a lot of experience.
carolina_outlaw
coyotehunter

Post by carolina_outlaw »

I'm new to the predator calling and living here in Eastern NC we have a hellava lot more grey foxes, than coyotes, not to many reds though. I'm still learning to call, but all of the greys that i have shot have been on walking missions and looking for sign or in traps on my trap line in the past. Coyotes are have been showing up around here in the past couple of years, i heard two different packs out howling and barking a couple of weeks ago at night when i was out in the yard. Hopefully in the near future i can provide some what worked for me info on fox calling in the near future. I am curious in the effect coyotes have had on grey fox populations in around the areas you guys hunt.
Primos Hunting Calls
Speak the Language
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I like to lip squek if i have them spotted ahead of time, and if I am calling to an area, soft high bitch bird sounds on my open reed call.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have called in Grey Fox down in Arizona and they are a blast. they come in hard and fast. Small territories, find scat on the road and start calling.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The greys in AZ are komakaze (sp) they come hard and fast shotgun is a must.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

after a winter like we had here in minn.(tough).i woulda thought it was going to be easy to call in fox and coyote but it turned out to be by far the worst year ever for calling. only maybe 10 fox and 15 coyotes since late dec. and i went out quite allot.it used to be 10-15 years ago i could count on calling in several each time out. i seen very little if anyone out this year hunting in my neck-of-the-woods so it can't be educated animals. i do love spot n stalk and did a lot of it this winter but even tried calling to ones spotted first and few were interested. it may be years ago there were ''ALLOT'' more fox so perhaps the competion was higher for the available food source. all i know if i was a first year caller i'd think that calling did'nt work!!
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

can anyone shed some light on why no one is calling in and shooting Grey Fox in Minnesota? I have not ever seen a pic of a Grey Fox that was shot on call in Minnesota or have I even talked with anyone who has done it. I did manage to snare one Grey Fox in the Bemidji area and had called that pasture for coyote with some luck. I also snared Red Fox, coon, and fisher over in this 80 acre pasture. I had a little meadow back in the trees on another 80 acre parcel that was about 5 acres. In that 5 acres was a pond that was maybe 25 yards diameter, I caught Red fox, Coyote, fisher, Bobcat, Beaver, coon, and ermine in that little meadow. These are the spots that are just money. I have gotten off track here a bit, I started remembering that day I caught the Grey. I caught a coyote, fisher, red fox, grey fox, a coon, and 2 skunks. The highlight being the Grey Fox, I really did not think I would catch one that far north.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

From info i got from a few fur buyers back in the early 80's most of the grey fox are in pockets in varis parts of the state and a few scattered here and there. Only two grays have come out of my area as far as i know, its a pretty rare thing to get one here.. According to the fur buyers i talked to one of the gray fox pockets is along the Mn. river north west of Redwood falls and another good area is down by Rochester along the river.. Both areas hold simular cover that the gray fox prefers, rocky structure and juniper trees..
After getting as much info as i could from the fur buyers i went up to the Mn. river area by Marshall and followed it towards Redwood falls. Most of the land is devided up into small partials for deer hunting and such and was difficult to get permission to hunt any of the good spots where some sign was found so i gave up on the idea of trying to hunt that area...It sure would be nice to get into them though, they canbe alot of fun to call...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I was talking with a local trapper about trapping greys in my area and he told me that 2 falls ago he was trapping in a local gravel pit that was used once in a great while one mile out of town, and caught 6 greys in one fall out of that gravel pit. He said that he catched them here and there on some of the local farms but never that many in one spot. This past fall he only water trapped. He told me that if he doesn't have time to land trap this coming season that he will try to get me onto some of his properties to trap. I sure would love to see a grey bouncing on the end of a chain when i walk up to an area :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Only 2 greys I have seen in my life in the Rochester area were both in the last two years and both were roadkills, one, right on the Roch city limits and the second, about 12 miles south of town so they are here but rare.

Other than that, I have not even seen or heard of any of the local coyote hunters/callers/section pushers/window snipers/deer hunters/trappers or any one else getting any at all.

Later fellas,

Jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i've seen only one in my life and it was trapped north of fargo on the red river in about 1982-83. my fur buyer was flabbergasted.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I seen one crossing the road just outside the city limits north of Bemidji about 4-5 years ago.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Shot a couple near Cold Spring,Mn a few years ago.They bark like hell at dark and are suckers for a call.One of them was with a slug gun-not fur friendly.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Trapped a few in mn around the Northfield/Lonsdale area saw a couple every year bow hunting and walked one down and shot it out of the crotch of a blow down hidding about 15 feet up and called one in one time in the dark but to far for a shot gun....that was 16-18 years ago
a proud member of the "IF" team