Spot and Stalk Fox

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Spot and Stalk Fox

Post by bucksnbears »

Tbush wrote:NICE!!!!! next time maybe off the barn then a rock,then off a frozen sugar beet and between the eyes :shock: :lol: :lol: I shoot that same bullet and have for about 4 years now and love it, but almost out of them and have to find someone to reload them for me :D
i'll reload them for you :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Bucksnbears, one time driving to meet a furbuyer, I used my spotting scope to look at a clump in a field in medium fog, it was trash, but 100yd behind it was a curled up, nice red fox with a bald scrotem, start of the mange time.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I did the same thing. I stopped to look at what looked like a coyote sitting on the side of a draw. It ended up being a antelope with only his head above the grass however 200yds behind her was a coyote looking things over. I ended up shooting the coyote at 304 yds looking at the antelope! :wink:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

His bad luck! huh? Sometimes in WY I have to look twice to realize that what I saw was a pronghorn, not a coyote, when driving.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

me to Tac. :oops: :oops:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

With the higher number of coyotes killed by the predator program in WY, do you think the fox population might rebound a little, out there?
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

I have to disagree with you about spotting from the vehicle window for fox. I have found that foxes are creatures of habit, and you can usually set your watch by them. I have spotted many foxes roadside, following a roadway in a ditch or just along the road. You can usually find the same fox, in nearly the same place around the same time each night. The same go's for in the morning. If you figure out what direction they are coming from at night, they will usually backtrack in the morning. If you spot them in the morning, note the time and get to that spot the following morning about a half hour before the time you saw it the day before. Try it! I think you will be suprised how well it works.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I can only speak for the county that I am in and I have seen the reds maintain there population. We have 2 great G-men for our county. Ilive right on the county lines and we don't get the same coverage as the sheep men due that live closer to town. This past spring and summer the wind blew to hard to get the plane out our way and I think our coyote population is pretty high in the area around our ranch.
One of the guys works with game and fish to control fox in an area that they release upland birds in and he came out of there with a total of 26 fox in a little under 2 weeks.
"God hates a coward"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Dusty, what was the red fox pop. like in your area in the late 80's-early 90's??
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I'll have to do some reearch and get back to you. We have fox that live in the same rock ridges and hills as the mountain lions do.
"God hates a coward"
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I sure miss stalking and trapping fox. Coyote are more of a challenge which is good in a way, but harder to pay for fuel with fewer pr square mile.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

the snow was just getting packed here nice enough to see fox/coyotes out napping on a hard drift... now this crap :x . i'm afraid most of my favorite trails are pluuged till spring thaw :x

Lyonch,Dcoy,Jaybic. i'll keep you posted on the fox sightings. i know you guys wanna come up for some spot n stalk. your welcome to come anytime. fox can still be spotted from main roads but coyotes are a bit harder to do unless we can get off the main roads.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

left early this morning for a tour. wind was real lite so i thought it would be a good day. put on about 75 miles without seeing even a jackrabbit. wind started to pick up bad so decided to head for home. spotted this red out in the middle of a section. could see through the spotting scope he was by a hole. got to about 350 and he got up to stretch. i was afraid he was gonna go down the hole so i got down and took the shot. did'nt alow for enough windage and shot just to the right. instead of bailing down the hole, he ran about 15 yards and stopped. i allowed for more windage and nailed him through the heart at 363 yards.has nice fur but is starting to rub a bit.
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Nice shot Bucks! Sounds like the morning hunt paid off. I went out this morning too without any luck. Seen only 4 coyotes and none of them panned out. Better than sitting on the couch I guess.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

anyone seeing any fox this year.......i am seeing some pockets coming back.