Caliber to Minimize Pelt Damage?

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

iowayote

Caliber to Minimize Pelt Damage?

Post by iowayote »

Just wondering what you guys would recomend for shooting fox. I have a 22-250 a .222 rem and a .204 and it seems that all three are a little tough on the pelt. The shotgun works good but it is tough sometimes to get them in close enough for a shotgun shot.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Caliber to Minimize Pelt Damage?

Post by bucksnbears »

i just started shooting the barnes tsx 45 grain in my 250 and am super impresses with the way it performs on fur. hav'nt shot a whole lot of fox with it but so far its been awesome. full penatration, great shock, small entry and exit. as for the .222 i've shot probably over 200 fox withb it and i've found the 50grain sierra blitzkings to be the best overall. hope this helps :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the Rem. .17 was built for fox. shoot a 25 gr. bthp and just slow it down some. 3800-3900 fps would be a good place to start. bullet/load developement still apply but try to avoid the temptation to get 4300 fps out of the gun.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I always used a 17 Mach-4 with 25 gr. Hornadys, 17 Rem. with 25 gr. Hornadys and the 221 F.B. with 42 Gr. Calhoons.. Like Coyotehunter said keep the Vel. down around 3800 fps for the 17 cal.s and 3000 fps for the F.B.
yotter

Post by yotter »

iowayote
First off--- Hello to the forum. I am 72 years of age and still having fun. Have aquired most of the items required to get the job done here in WV. Never Shot a coyote (yet) but will. One showed up in my driveway , Thought it was a domesticated dog. The Gait of it walking off gave it up as a coyote.
While reading my reloader manual I may have found another answer to iowayote s question. The Lyman manual states that: Page 106 Barnes Banded solid Spitzer in .22-.30 are a great choice for hunters looking to preserve valuable pelts.
I enjoy reading the forum and seeing the pics and vids.My computer is so slow I have to go on vacation and come back to see the vids . Have watched several DVD s on coyote hunting, Randy,Rick and Les. I dislike the music on the vids.This is enough for now. Seeee Yooooou Laatteerrr!! LOL!
Yotter
iowayote

Post by iowayote »

Thanks for the info guys. Has anyone tried the .17 Rem fireball yet? I see that it looks similar to the .17 rem and it seems like it may be easier to find a rifle in that caliber.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The 17 F.B. is a clone to the 17 Mach-4 with the shoulder angle changed a little.. I used the 17 Mach-4 on red fox for alot of years as it does a great job and it still has enough steam for a coyote under 200 yds..
If you are thinking about going the 17 cal. route and plan on shooting mostly fox then the 17 F.B. is the route to go..
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Back when we actually had fox around I shot alot with the Rem.17. Probably one of the best, if not the best fox caliber there is.

After seeing what the .204 does to coyotes, I would think it too would make an excellent fox caliber.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Impossible to beat the 17 Rem for fox.Only difference is,I never slow anything down. :D But then,I've never worried about fur,just making sure all their super glue lets go at impact.If we had fox like 20 years ago,I'd be seriously looking at a .19 caliber-maybe a Calhoun variant.
Live Oak

Post by Live Oak »

Have you tried the Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets. Depending upon your rifle barrel twist rate, you can use the 50 grain for fast twist barrels or the 36 grain for the more common 12 or 14 twist rate 22-250's.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/r ... t-grenade/
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

live oak, i've tried the varmit granades quite a bit and from what i've seen they do work well on fox sized animals but have been horrible on coyotes. i shoot them from a 22-250 at about 4300 and a .222 at about 3400. there can be damage from the 250 but they do work awesome in the .222. however my .222 is a 1-14 twist and does not shoot either the 36 or 50 grain well. about 1.25 inch group is all i can get. my 250 is a 1-12 and shoots the 36's awesome but can be a bit destructive on fox
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Live Oak

Post by Live Oak »

Not sure if you noticed but Barnes came out with a 30 grain varmint grenade for the .22 Hornet this year. Your 222 barrel may be able to stabilize that projectile. Just a thought. Might be worth a try.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'll be all over that one. thanks for the info :)
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I shot a lot of fox when I was younger, before the mange took them. I used a fmjbt 55gr from Sierra, it worked real good on broadside head, neck and rib shots. Hit at an angle or hit a bone, look out! I believe the 17 MachIV is supposed to be a good round. I shot a couple in the front of the chest angled into the body with my Tactical.20, using a Berger 35 gr, they didn't exit, but jellified the inside! If it has 6" to 8" of body to go into, it probably won't exit.
2putt
coyotehunter

Post by 2putt »

What about a .17 hmr? .20 gr hollow point for fox? too small for yotes but how about fox?
newby!!