mini 14 or 30

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

sniper81
coyotehunter

mini 14 or 30

Post by sniper81 »

i thinking of getting one of the newer models for coyote hunting i leaning more toward the 30 for its knockdown power i have experience with the 223 i have a savage 110 and reload my own ammo but i want a reapeater just in case more than one shows up to the call if anyone has exp with both, one or the other any info would be great
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: mini 14 or 30

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Your call sign suggests that you like accurate shooting i would stay away from either and if you want something with a lot of shells go with an AR. The mini's are just a lot more screwing around to get accurate from EVERYONE i have ever talked to about them.

Just my two cents
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
sniper81
coyotehunter

Post by sniper81 »

i have heard that from the old ones the newer ones are supposed to be more accurate
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

not accurate and very crude buy an ar reeds sports in mn low pro classic for somthing like $600 or $700 you'll spend that much on a mini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have heard that they are terrible accurate! Dont waste your time
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
sniper81
coyotehunter

Post by sniper81 »

well i think i might have found what im looking for thoughit isnt a repeater it is a rossi single shot in 7.62x39 anyone have one or a rossi rifle in general how they shoot any info would be great
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

the 7.62x39 in an s.k.s is good on coyotes to about 200 yards. i've got one and would pick it over a mini. anyday
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
sniper81
coyotehunter

Post by sniper81 »

i have a yugo sks it shoots good but is a bit on the heavy side so hopefully i can find one of those rossi for a good price
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I had a mini 14 years ago and I am not sure I could commit suicide with it and hitting the broad side of a barn from inside was damn near impossible. POS accuracy-wise!!!!!. I had a buddy buy a newer one because he didnt want to lay out the cash for an AR. He owned it for a month and now shoots a DPMS AR. I agreey with Prairie Ghost, everyone I know that has ever had one got rid of it. Just my .02 pennies.

Good luck in your choice.

Jaybic
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You are really limiting yourself with those kind of rifles buy a used or low end bolt action and be done with it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i agree with PG buy a low end bolt such as a vangaurd, stevens, savage, or cheaper howa. my brother when he was little got a single shot 25 06, the rifle is accurate but he always gets shit about not having a real rifle and he doesnt have the follow up shots. add a little more money and get a bolt.

i know what you guys are saying about the mini's however i have a friend that has one in 223 and one in 6-223 and loves them both. these were both done by accuracy systems so they cost more then a good ar but not all of them are bad.

just my thoughts on the subjects.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a couple of Rossi for my son. cheap and functional.
Coyotes Forever
buckhunter24_7
coyotehunter

Post by buckhunter24_7 »

Well I got lucky and got one of the more accurate 14s I have ever heard of I get a lil more than one inch groups most of the time and the best group I ever got was a hair over half an inch at 100 so I like mine but its only a 250-300 yard gun in my book. But I have never heard of another shooting that good.