A very exciting stand!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Nitwit

A very exciting stand!

Post by Nitwit »

While walking to my last stand this evening I heard a few coyotes howling off to the west - OH BOY!! I set up facing east (the wind is west to east) with my back against a small scragley spruce tree. After a few minutes calling I spot a coyote maybe 300 yards out making the circle to get downwind. For some reason this coyote just started walking away to the north and disappeared over a hill. DARN! I kept calling and I and did a couple challenge howls. I was just about to leave when I heard something in the snow behind me. I looked back over my left shoulder and there was a coyote standing just on the other side of the spruce tree looking right at me. I tried to get my rifle up, but the coyote took off FAST. I got on her, shot, and she rolled and lay dead. I think I scared her to death - I couldn't find a wound and there was no blood. I stepped it off - the coyote had been standing standing 7 steps from me. VERY COOL!!! It was a female - a young one I think. I realized later that if it had not been for the crunchy snow I may have never known that coyote had been there - makes one wonder how many you call in but never see.
Nitwit
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great story. I have left many stands to only see fresh tracks in the snow behind me as I was walking out.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

With the snow conditions out west i know that a guy calls in a lot more then he sees!!!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

They say for every deer you seee when you hunt in a dense forest that every deer you see there was 8 to 10 that walked by and you didn't see them. I am sure that stat could be close to the same for coyotes. There not dumb they will hang out on the edges of the trees in the shadows where you can't see them and try to make you out before they commit to the sounds. just my $.02
Kurt
coyotehunter

Post by Kurt »

I agree on stands in areas that i had good luck in before.I could just not get anything to come in but when darkness would come I would use the howler you just here the area come alive. But it doesnt do any good when cant see them.