Crunchy Snow

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1 shot
coyotehunter

Crunchy Snow

Post by 1 shot »

What do you do when you have to walk accross crunchy snow to get to a stand? Tried it yesterday and the spot looked promissing but we know we made way to much noise getting in. Any recommendations?
Still looking for the first one calling.
Came accross a coyote yesterday driving, put him out of his missery. No hair from front shoulders back. I cant believe he made it through -26 the other day.
He was running around where he shouldn't have
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have the same thing to deal with in central minnesota here. From my experiences with crunchy snow is that you need to take your time walking to your calling area. I walk slowly and pause frequently and glass the area. When you make frequent pauses to me it seems like you are copying the behavior of another animal. hopefully the coyote will think that you are just another critter moving through the area. When i sit down to make a stand i just don't plop down and start calling if i made alot of noise i prefer to sit there for about 5 - 10 minutes and give the area a little time to calm down. If the snow if cruchy the wind is your friend, walk in to it. I wish i had a true solution for you that would make the snow soft and quiet all the time but it i smother nature and where there is a wil there is a way. Hope this helps.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Some other points to add to Lyonch post, try to keep the sun at your back. They might here you coming but they will have a tough time trying to make you out. I also like to walk in the shadows if I can. Chrunchy snow does suck, but if you take your time and walk slowly it can be done. We have tried to stalk a lot of fox in chrunchy snow and we found out the slower you go and the more cautious you walk they have a harder time hearing you come. Oh ya lots of luck helps too.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"