sighting a new 22-250???

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Re: sighting a new 22-250???

Post by Skinny Indian »

A little off subject, but how do you like the rifle?
Keep your powder dry.
jecole360

Post by jecole360 »

Skinny Indian wrote:A little off subject, but how do you like the rifle?

Well I havent been on here in awhile and I'm still having issues with sighting it in. I like the gun but I don't know a whole lot about rifles so it's all new to me. I live in Indiana and it's illegal to hunt with high power rifles so I haven't done much shooting with them. I have only put about 26 rounds through it but haven't got it where I want it. After the guy bore sighted it I took it out to shoot it and could hit the broad side of a barn at 100 yards. I got it dead on at 25 yards and have been going up from there but at $19.50 a box for Remington UMC 50 grain JHP bullets I can only shoot when I have the money and time.

Again I don't know anything about ballistics so don't bash me here but while I was shooting it I had it zeroed at 25 yards but when I stepped back to 70 yards it was shooting about 8" high??? I really want to get this figured out because with only having one shot (should of bought a bolt action lol) I dont want to miss if I get the opportunity to shoot a coyote!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I doubt anyone here is going to bash you for asking an honest question.

First things first. Put zero faith in boresighters. Sometimes they get you on paper at 100yds, sometimes they don't.

Is there anyone locally that can assist you with this. Preferably not someone who is going to try to sell you something. I think you'd be suprised at how many people enjoy teaching what they know about shooting. In short, a mentor would make your life much easier. If not ,the best thing you can do is get a really big (like 4' x4') chunk of plywood or cardboard at the desired zero range and have at it. You can start close and move back in increments, adjusting your rifle to stay on paper along the way. Good luck.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

jecole360 wrote:
Skinny Indian wrote:A little off subject, but how do you like the rifle?

Well I havent been on here in awhile and I'm still having issues with sighting it in. I like the gun but I don't know a whole lot about rifles so it's all new to me. I live in Indiana and it's illegal to hunt with high power rifles so I haven't done much shooting with them. I have only put about 26 rounds through it but haven't got it where I want it. After the guy bore sighted it I took it out to shoot it and could hit the broad side of a barn at 100 yards. I got it dead on at 25 yards and have been going up from there but at $19.50 a box for Remington UMC 50 grain JHP bullets I can only shoot when I have the money and time.

Again I don't know anything about ballistics so don't bash me here but while I was shooting it I had it zeroed at 25 yards but when I stepped back to 70 yards it was shooting about 8" high??? I really want to get this figured out because with only having one shot (should of bought a bolt action lol) I dont want to miss if I get the opportunity to shoot a coyote!

If you want a 200 yard zero try sighting in dead on at 50 yards. After you've stacked 5 shots on top of eachother in the 50 yard bullseye, back up to 100 and 200 to see where your at. It may not be exact but I bet you'll be darn close at 200. Remember, factors like temp, elevation, velocity, & bullet bc may effect the results but this method has always worked for me when I'm in a pinch. It always seems to put me within 1.5 inches of vertical center at 200 yards.
Pony
coyotehunter

Post by Pony »

Lots of good advise. I prefer 1.6" high at 100 yds.( zero at 246 yds. ) the bullet will never be more than 2" above or below your line of sight out to 284 yds. 3" low at 300yds. Calulated from MPBR. Simply aim and shoot, no guess work.
Recently bought a new Rem SPS varmit, topped with a 3by 9 Redfield, the best tack driver I have ever owned.......I'm a poor shot and can cover a group at 100 yds with a dime.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

First things first. Put zero faith in boresighters. Sometimes they get you on paper at 100yds, sometimes they don't
I think they do pretty good getting you on paper but you have to remember a few things to get there. You need to add the scope height to the bore site zero (1.5") and also figure in bullet spin or drift which is to the right and can be up to 1.25 mil..
I use the tasco bore siter which has a screen of small squares and most all my guns zero high and to the right..

Sounds like you are having trouble getting on paper, if in a hurry I will use a sheet of plywood 2'x'2 with a paper target centered on it. Then I will take one or two shots at the target at 50 yds., look to see where the holes are. Should be close to each other. Measure from hole's to center of target and say you come up with 4" to the left and down 4". To make correction you will need to dial up 32 clicks on scope and 32 clicks to the right. One click on the scope is roughly a 1/4" movement at a 100 yds. and half that at 50 yds. so you have to dial in double to be zero at 100 yds. next move back to the 100 yard mark and shoot one or two shots, should be on center or dam close.. Good luck...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

There is a great book called Modern Ballistics by Art Peja that you would enjoy that does a great job explaining exterior ballistics.