Best type of locator??

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Best type of locator??

Post by ducksmuggler »

I have always just used my howler to locate and call, and it works "ok" for me at best. But I keep thinking there has gota be something or some way that might work better.

I was thinking of trying a siren but were can I get one thats not a part of an e-caller? I would like an e-caller but I like my hand calls, its just me

thanks
Matt
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Re: Best type of locator??

Post by ducksmuggler »

maybe I should have said What type do you like to use?
Last edited by ducksmuggler on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You can get a electric hand held siren from E.L.K. products. They are'nt too spendy either..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

they all work different at certain times of the year. Pups at the hole seem to answer a siren better. Adults like group yip howls or a single coyote doing lone howls it just depends i have tried three and four things at one location before i got them to "light up"
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

A siren is something I think every guy who is serious about calling should have in his truck. Truck mounted or handheld is just fine. I have seen a lot of cheap ones that are not very loud available in the market. I do think louder is better. There is some discussion on them being to loud, the coyote will bark and whole out past what you can hear them. That is another topic though.
Coyotes Forever
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

Thanks guys!!!

so I made a "homemade" e caller and used the I-pod I never use to hold all the sounds I want... put three diff. siren type sounds in it..according to my notes.I am getting around 40% more responds; granted this is the first time I have ever done anything before winter SO . . things are on the up!!
If its good enough; Better is achievable