any ideas

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tdkahn
coyotehunter

any ideas

Post by tdkahn »

I'm in NE Indiana and need some ideas on where to call from and best calls to use. I've been trying off and on for 2yrs without success. I've tried Hot Dog, Ki-Yi, old rabbit in distress P.S. OLT model NO.T-20, JUNK Western Rivers Predation( shuts off after 15min in cold, replaced battery). Just made "EL-CHEAPO ELECTRONIC CALLER". Got one 4yrs ago with bow from stand, no calling just his bad luck. Last year saw pack of 3 and 4 several times, no gun close. Need coyote population to go down so my deer population comes back up. I've got a 22-250 for long range and a 12gauge or 22mag for close up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the land:
yellow boxes - deer/coyote permission
red box - coyote only permission
yellow circles - Ladder stands

Thanks
Last edited by tdkahn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: any ideas

Post by lyonch »

I dont want to deter you from calling, but if you can't get it done by calling, you might want to entertain the idea of traps and snares, but there is some research that needs to be done on catching a coyote before setting traps.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

Yeah I started looking at the trapping section. I watched Coyotehunter's videos on making and placing snares, just think it'd be a whole lot more fun shooting them rather than unhooking a cable or trap. I guess it'd just be a different means to the same end: more deer for the freezer.
Thanks for the input.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just found this, good post. Great pics. Hve you done any locating in the evenings just before dark? In the AM about an hour before sun up? The maps would mean more if I new where the coyotes where coming from. were are you seeing sign. do you know how to read coyote sign? Male/female tracks, territorial markings,..........weres the water that they are using.........need some info.
Coyotes Forever
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Awesome!!!! Another Indiana hunter here. Just like coyotehunter asked, where are you finding sign at? You can call them using calls anytime of the year as long as you have permission from landowner or its your land here in Indiana. Traps are a great second way of eliminating them from the area while you call them in too. Have you tried hunting them at nite? Remember, you can call with the best calls but if you dont play the wind correctly then you wont have much of a chance calling one in. Also, have you bumped into the coytes much? How often are they seen and where are they seen at?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

any updates
Coyotes Forever
tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

Since I shot a female this winter (First one with a gun - post), I've not heard them at night. My daughter and I went shed hunting early spring and saw plenty of tracks around the woods with the "creek" lable in it on the map. I know they're here just haven't seen or heard any. Maybe they'll start moving more and being vocal during deer season.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you may be in a area they are hunting but not living in.
Coyotes Forever